Even the pros blow up

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Halal Burger, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Biog

Biog

http://www.lme.com/tin_graphs.asp

#21     Mar 16, 2010
  2. His performance wasn't too bad in the past year and a half, and then all of a sudden, it plunged. If I am not mistaken, this is a sign of an average down strategy. Maybe he was using multiple average down strategies as well to smooth out the equity curve, but when things move, they move all together.

One day hedge fund investors need to smarten up about investing in hedge funds. They need to realize no matter how complex these hedge funds portray themselves to be, there are really 2 types of funds in the hedge fund world. One employs average down strategy, and the other does not. This is the thing that matter the most because it indicate how the fund manage risk and it will directly impact on the value of their investments.

PA

#22     Mar 16, 2010
  3. "The objective for the fund is double-digit annualized returns with a positive rolling 12-month period with a maximum drawdown of 10% and a standard deviation of 5-10%."

Lol. At first I thought this was so bad it must be a spoof. I'm still not 100% convinced this fund actually exists - is it April Fools day yet?

#23     Mar 16, 2010
  4. From what I read, blowing-up in their early trading career is the rule, not blowing-up in their career is exception.

#24     Mar 16, 2010
  5. Why they even exposed to a 95% drawdown?
    Besides, no major price move happened recently.

These morons were overleveraged.

#25     Mar 16, 2010
  6. No.Heat

No.Heat

In my book pros don't blow up only amateurs who thought they were pros do.

No Heat

#26     Mar 16, 2010
  7. Dogfish

Dogfish

It seems everyone knew they had cornered the tin market last year so when they felt the squeeze and margin calls came in who else on the lme is going to be buying? They would slam it down on them, same way traders drove LTCMs positions into oblivion to teach them a lesson :D

#27     Mar 17, 2010
  8. Mav88

Mav88

They said they were 'dealt an awful hand' , poor bastards, it wasn't their fault

anyone dumb enough to trust these guys got what they deserved.

#28     Mar 17, 2010
  9. I don't see a problem here as they were trying to stick with their Buy & Hold Regardless Trading Plan rules but...

Some extraordinary circumstances forced the Ebullio
    Commodity Fund to liquidate and/or cancel
    parts of the physical book and to liquidate some
    long held speculative positions, mainly in LME non
    -ferrous metals.

So stops were not hit and there was no need to panic yet as clients were only down 95%. Without their hand being forced there was room for more downside in their rules and then all it would take is a patient recovery.

Extraordinary circumstances like down, more down, further down, wow I didn't think it would go that far, what more selling, how can it keep going down, oh blast that's unbelievable, I don't believe that, this is idiotic, the market is rigged, it's gotta go up now, that's just panic selling into a bottom, how can it keep going down, there can't be any sellers left, not more selling, this market is a joke.

#29     Mar 17, 2010
  10. Apparently one of the partners at Ebullio Capital Management, Greg Cain, has already had several blow ups in his career.

He was a futures day trader at Refco Trading Services and only lasted 6 months. After that his career doesn't seem too impressive:

Incapital Europe Limited 05/12/2005 31/10/2006 (10 months)
    Sunrise Brokers LLP 03/11/2006 29/06/2007 (7 months)
    City Credit Capital (UK) Ltd 06/02/2008 26/09/2008 (7 months)

Got question why he can't hold onto a job for at least a year....

#30     Mar 17, 2010