Even Moderate Use of Alcohol May Shorten Your Life

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Baron, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Baron

Baron ET Founder

They still exist: health freaks who allow themselves 1 or 2 glasses of alcohol every day. Moderate alcohol consumption is good for heart and blood vessels, they think. The Lancet, the most prestigious medical scientific journal of this planet, published a large study that puts an end to this myth forever.

Study
    The publication in The Lancet is a meta-study, for which researchers from the University of Cambridge in England collected data from 599,912 alcohol users from 83 epidemiological studies.

Those studies were all prospective. The average study participant lived in a rich country, was healthy when the study started, and was followed for about 6 years.

Results
    An intake of 4 glasses of wine or beer [100 g alcohol /week] per week had no effect on the overall risk of death. If you look at the chance or mortality caused by cardiovascular disease, an intake of 1-2 glasses of wine or beer per day reduces the risk of mortality. However, don't see this positive effect when you look at overall mortality. This is probably because alcohol, even in small quantities, increases the chance of other causes of death.

[​IMG]

When the researchers looked at different types of cardiovascular mortality separately, they noticed that alcohol had a positive effect on mortality due to a heart attack.

[​IMG]

But when the researchers looked at other types of cardiovascular mortality, there was no longer a positive effect of alcohol. Alcohol only had a negative effect. Alcohol increased the risk of mortality from stroke, death from heart failure and death from other cardiovascular causes, even in moderate use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The idea that moderate use of alcohol is healthy is not correct. Those who drink less than 5 glasses of wine or alcohol a week do not harm their health, but do not add anything to it either. And a higher intake than those 5 glasses a week is irrevocably at the expense of your life expectancy, the figures below show.

[​IMG]

Conclusions
    "In conclusion, our study shows that among current drinkers, the threshold for lowest risk of all-cause mortality was about 100 g per week", the researchers conclude. "For cardiovascular disease subtypes other than myocardial infarction, there were no clear thresholds below which lower alcohol consumption stopped being associated with a lower disease risk."

"These data support adoption of lower limits of alcohol consumption than are recommended in most current guidelines."

Source:
    Lancet 2018;391:1513-23.

Visaria, Gambit, piezoe and 2 others like this.
  2. speedo

speedo

Hard to put a price on a good time.

piezoe and KDASFTG like this.
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

Hold my beer:

Too many charts and conclusions in the article. It literally states:

"Results
    An intake of 4 glasses of wine or beer [100 g alcohol /week] per week had no effect on the overall risk of death. "

So what is the problem??? Now, where is my beer?

4. tomorton

tomorton

Medics have for too long confined themselves to the philosophy that they're doing a good job if we live more years. Its easy to measure and very objective.

Bollocks to that.

I'd rather not make it to 90 if I can't enjoy myself.

Tsing Tao likes this.
  5. I sip like three or four teaspoons of vodka during the trading day to calm my nerves and intensity and boredom.
    I actually prefer white wine chardonnay or champagne. -- 40% liquor drinks are Way too Strong :confused:,

We're all going to essentially die around 90, one way or another. -- Give or take a decade.
    Either through a heart attack, cancer, slipping in the shower, car accident, cheeseburger, or salad, or tea, or while typing something on ET.
    You can't evade death or delay it, even with each new study released.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  6. jinxu

jinxu

Pekelo likes this.
  7. You're suggesting that maybe alcohol brings you happiness? And that you're prepared to pay for that particular brand of "happiness" with years of your life? I'd look into that if I were you. :p

CaptainObvious likes this.
  8. Old Joke: If you give up smoking, drugs, alcohol and fatty foods you could live to be 95....

If I give up al lthat why would I want to live to be 95?

CaptainObvious and tomorton like this.
  9. Somewhat related parable:

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “only a little while. The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. The American then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life.” The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15 – 20 years.”

“But what then?” Asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!”

“Millions – then what?”

The American said, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

#10     Apr 19, 2018