Even Mexican Labor Costs Too High: Gildan To Move Production To Central America

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ByLoSellHi, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Its a race to the bottom.

Sometimes I wonder why they keep building all these shopping malls here. Every one has a Target or WalMart or Meier or something, and a bunch of fast food places. They build another on every major corner. I wonder in the long run, if the dollar declines, and we don't make things here, who will have money to shop in all these places, and have the money to eat out every day.

Eventually it will be overbuilt to the silly point, and the stores will suffer from all the competition.

Now that they are stopping building more homes, its just a question of when....

#11     Mar 30, 2007
  2. blast19

blast19

You just spelled out a really long word the easy way. It's truly a race to the bottom...when you point this out it makes me want to go lay down and check back in next year when the housing thing has played out a little further...it will all echo down the line.

How the markets are up today on the economic news is beyond me. More government and commercial construction(of course). Higher personal spending, of course, due to inflation. Lower consumer confidence.

The markets keep running and yet, reality is becoming more and more clear regarding the housing problem but the market just shrugs and decides to go up.

Anyone have a clue as to what proportion of this money that's fueling markets is coming from wealthy individuals or funds that cater to wealthy clients? I'm just curious who's going to lose out when the markets settle down and some of the housing pain is rippling through the economy.

#12     Mar 30, 2007
  3. Margin debt is even higher than in 2000. Many people and funds are leveraged up to the hilt trying to maximize returns and squeeze the shorts. It can continue until they decide to pay back the loans.

I think we saw it when the yen went to 116 or 115. As soon as the yen started gaining, our market started falling. That tells you where the money was borrowed from.

No pro here, just an observant guesser...

#13     Mar 30, 2007
  4. Cesko

Cesko

For some reason stupid threads on this subject always forget about jobs imported into the U.S.. As far as I know the net is actually positive for U.S..
    Do you guys know about Employee Free Choice Act? If this powergrab becomes the law watch many more jobs to disappear.

#14     Mar 30, 2007
  5. Cesko

Cesko

Union scum wants to eliminate secret ballot and have guts to call it 'Free choice" whatever. Democratic Party whores bent over and passed it. I believe it's for our own good. Feel like throwing up.

#15     Mar 30, 2007
  6. Do not worry about it.

It is probably only the pension funds so the load will be spread evenly over the lower/middle class.

#16     Mar 30, 2007
  7. Blah, blah, blah...

Even Alan Blinder, the super-terrific-free-trader-cum-supply-side economist, has turned around on the issue, saying job outsourcing is threatening the very economic stability of the United States, and has written substantive academic material illustrating that 40 million jobs could be outsourced within the next two decades.

There is a race to the bottom. Anyone who feels that it's not a problem must think their job be the last one to leave.

Hey, guess what? My doctor has Indian radiologists interpret MRI/CT Scans, and my accountant has Indian accountants do taxes for his clients.

#17     Mar 30, 2007