"Even if you had a balanced portfolio, everything went down.”

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Altavest_Erik, Nov 19, 2018.

1. By the time the market bottomed out during the financial crisis in 2009, an estimated $2.7 trillion had been wiped out of Americans’ retirement accounts, according to the Urban Institute. Older Americans, in particular, have had a tough time recovering their losses. The Pew Research Center estimates the net worth of the median Baby Boomer household in 2016 was still nearly 18 percent shy of where it sat in 2007.

https://www.apnews.com/c96eb2f4b5c54449b13c95e841f89dab

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. %%
    Maybe right; because of panic selling, planned selling can be better, or much better. And then because GE or GM made many workers rich; they wrongly assume its a good investment, for a lifetime.IBD + WSJ has some Useful charts sometimes; but i noticed before they kicked GE out of DOW ;they[WSJ, LOL] were trying to lure buyers back with a 20o dma bear chart LOL:cool::D

3. "... There are no growth companies, only growth periods".

Metamega and murray t turtle like this.
  4. CET

CET

This is why I trade my IRA and don't buy and hold in it.

5. %%
    Turnaround Tuesday maybe a key-NOT for GE, they only closed up on 1 or2 tuesdays past 55 days.I'm still slightly bullish on small caps, because they have gone down less than NasdaQQQ +are doing so much, much better than GE-LOL:D:D

6. No expert here, but several months ago I was looking at stuff back in 2008/2009 and how it did in the hit. Even short-term bond funds seem decimated, if only temporarily. So this thread seems at least generally accurate - everything (even gold at least for a bit I think as well) seemed to take a hit, and not a little hit, but a big hit. One of the few things that appeared not to take a hit was just holding U.S. dollars ha!

It is scary - how do you invest when you are worried about the next black swan that could decimate whatever you invest in?

7. tsznecki

tsznecki

I don't get what you guys are talking about. SPY has never gone to 0. Just hold???

8. tomorton

tomorton

"Balanced portfolio". I love that. Sounds like a term brokers use to get people to keep buying more shares and more shares.

Also sounds low-risk and professional. Like calling traders investors.

9. As the saying goes, "everything goes to 1."

10. ironchef

ironchef

Only if you panic and got out in 2009. Those who were too dumb (or like a deer in the headlight) to get out of the market, hung on for dear life, ended up a lot better off, recovered nicely.:D

#10     Nov 21, 2018
    murray t turtle and Overnight like this.