Evaluation of momentum and trend following strategies applied to cryptocurrencies looks promising

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by TauLepton, Dec 29, 2017.

1. So I have heard! I am aiming for an autonomous systematic implementation as opposed to chart reading but none the less will be using similar rules such as EWMA and breakout.

#11     Dec 30, 2017
  2. That ain't old school TA!!

#12     Dec 30, 2017
  3. Whoops, my knowledge of TA is extremely limited or probably more accurately none existent!!

#13     Dec 30, 2017
  4. I don't trust any reports from the university.

I only trust reports from traders who earn living from trading.
    But then if they are successful, why do they bother to publish any reports?

#14     Dec 31, 2017
  5. cvds16

cvds16

you do know that this isn't a bull market anymore in BTC ? we are just making a bear-rally so be very carefull if you try to pull off trendfollowing trades ... one trend can be totally inverted to the trend in the higher timeframe: that's what makes a market ...

#15     Dec 31, 2017
  6. I see, well here is the professional career history of one of the authors:
    Professional milestones
    2012 - 2014: Man Investments
    2012 - 2012: Credit Suisse Group, Senior Vice President, Member of Senior Management
    2009 - 2012: Goldman Sachs
    2007 - 2009: Merill Lynch
    2002: The Boston Consulting Group
    2001: Oliver Wyman

Whilst I agree that the credibility of the author is very important I would say that assessment of the fundamental trading philosophy of the study takes presidence. In this case the philosophy applied is trend following and momentum which as far as I'm aware, but correct me if I'm wrong as I am new to the scene, is a well established strategy.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    #16     Dec 31, 2017
  7. Yes I am aware of this fact. Trend following should still be able to capitalise on downward trends. I was considering incorporating some trading rule variants with smaller windows which will be more responsive to the quick reversals observed in cryptocurrencies. I suspect that this would make the strategy more profitable (gross of transaction costs) and also reduce the drawdown.

#17     Dec 31, 2017
  8. cvds16

cvds16

seems you more or less got the right idea ... the pain in the but part is the implementation of these principles ... the best advice I can give you: don't go to low in timeframes been there done that got the T-shirt ... probably nothing below the 2H is worth the effort and even then you need bigger context to confirm ...

#18     Dec 31, 2017
  9. Thank you for the heads up. At the minute I'm trying to identify the shortest window that is viable to use. It seems to be a compromise between being responsive to short term trends, not being sensitive to market noise and minimising transaction fees. Anything else I should be taking into account?

In regards to implementation, "SYSTEMATIC TRADING" by Robert Carver provides a brilliant framework for signal generation, position sizing and portfolio management. That's the approach I'll be trying to follow.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    #19     Dec 31, 2017
  10. cvds16

cvds16

what I look for myself is a signal on the 2H that rolls into a signal on the 3H or 4H, only then I got a signal ... that seems to me the lowest you can go ... I use stochastics as an aide and use ema20 and ema50 too ... but I have been messing about too long on smaller timeframes which just were a huge waste of time if you ask it so what I give you really is the lowest you can go imho ... Don't know the book you are mentioning so can't give you any advice on that one ... I use ATR200 for my stop-setting ... knowing the maximum I can lose makes the position sizing easier ...

#20     Dec 31, 2017