Euthanasia

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bobcathy1, Mar 10, 2003.

1. If you're in horrible pain with no hope of it ending, and your loved ones are suffering the agony of watching you struggle with that pain and deteriorate, you should definitely have the right to end your life as you choose.

Not being filled as you try to exit a losing position, on the other hand, should not be reason enough for doctor-assisted suicide.

#11     Mar 10, 2003
  2. roe

roe

I know this is a very controversial issue, and although I voted "no", I do not know how I would decide for myself or a loved one.

There is a very interesting website which may help some of us coming to terms with euthanasia : http://www.euthanasia.com/
    At least i found it interesting to read that "Each and every year, in the United States alone, there are 1.5 times as many suicides as there are homicides", and that "suicide is one of the ten most common causes of death in Great Britain"!

#12     Mar 10, 2003
  3. I thought this thread was about youth in Asia....:D

Let it be, let it be , let it be, Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.

#13     Mar 10, 2003
  4. ROFL! :D :D :D

#14     Mar 10, 2003
  5. trdrmac

trdrmac

There was an article in one of last week's WSJ about Oregon and the assisted suicide law. It is one of the few (perhaps) only states to allow doctor assisted suicide. The number of prescriptions written has increased since the law was passed, but it was not huge. Something like 25 to 50, and a few who picked up the "drug" chose not to use them.

A while back I glanced at an article about a number of people who travel to (Switzerland ?) to get assisted suicide since it is not legal in many parts of the world.

#15     Mar 11, 2003
  6. roe

roe

From the website which I mentioned earlier on (www.euthanasia.com) here is a paragraph from their faq:
    Where are euthanasia and assisted suicide legal?

Oregon, the Netherlands and Belgium are the only jurisdictions in the world where laws specifically permit euthanasia or assisted suicide. Oregon permits assisted suicide.(1) The Netherlands and Belgium permit both euthanasia and assisted suicide.(2)

In 1995 Australia’s Northern Territory approved a euthanasia bill.(3) It went into effect in 1996 but was overturned by the Australian Parliament in 1997. Also, in 1997, Colombia’s Supreme Court ruled that penalties for mercy killing should be removed.(4) However the ruling does not go into effect until guidelines, still to be drafted, are approved by the Colombian Congress.

#16     Mar 11, 2003
  7. can anyone that thinks it's 'wrong' please tell us why?

the argument against are PATHETIC!

lol. who the hell does it hurt? NO ONE! (not even yourself!)

#17     Mar 11, 2003
  8. ElCubano

ElCubano

That answer is easy.... The question is would you do it to a loved one?? Risking you going to jail for murder....I would say yes...

#18     Mar 11, 2003
  9. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Everyone in my family has asked me to be the "executioner" of their living wills......no one wants to suffer needlessly.
    I always wonder why they think I will do it? Do I look like a murderer?
    :D

#19     Mar 11, 2003