EURUSD up 100+ pips on a Sunday?

Discussion in 'Forex' started by stevegee58, Sep 7, 2008.

1. KS96

KS96

Even then, it doesn't make sense.
    All that matters is your net position;
    it doesn't matter how many systems or accounts or whatever. The fewer transactions you do to achieve the desired net position, the better/cheaper.

#21     Sep 8, 2008
  2. And the less risky!

#22     Sep 8, 2008
  3. KS96,

I agree on the whole that it is a complicated affair - and does not make sense for "normal trading", but can I ask if you trade EURUSD and have your base currency in any of these?

Then you would actually be doing the "both sides regime"... I sometimes switched between EUR and USD for my trading account according to what I though the very long trend was, and then I scalped for trading the smaller swings.
    :)

#23     Sep 9, 2008
  4. Well his long and short strategy would have worked this past couple of days, bank profit on the long on Monday morning, bank profit on the short on Monday afternoon! Unfortunately the market is not always so accommodating to offer profit to both sides! In 'normal' market conditions I can't really see the point of having equal long and short positions though, at some point you have to make a judgment call and close one out, up until that point you're gains and losses are obviously equal so how do you profit from that?

I'm far from being a long term player (anything over 15 minutes is long term for me!) but the dollar looks in pretty good shape compared to what the Eurozone has on the horizon, parity within a year or 18 months would be my call :)

#24     Sep 9, 2008
  5. KS96

KS96

Please don't propagate further this "hedging" BS... we've heard enough for years. In cases such as this of the last couple of days, the "long and short strategy" provides *no advantage* whatsoever; it rather creates confusion, and may use up more margin depending on how much of an idiot your broker is.

#25     Sep 9, 2008
  6. No dung being flung here, no-one has the monopoly on profitable trading strategies and if it's making you money then it can't be 'wrong'.

I've seen these types of 20-pip grid trading strategies done before but with two accounts at different brokers, one that pays interest and one that doesn't to take advantage of the carry.

I think one problem that cropped up on all of them was the odd stray trade being left with some major drawdown, how would you deal with that?

#26     Sep 9, 2008
  7. If you bothered to read the rest of my post you would see I said ".....In 'normal' market conditions I can't really see the point of having equal long and short positions though, at some point you have to make a judgment call and close one out, up until that point you're gains and losses are obviously equal so how do you profit from that?....."

His long and short did offer an advantage on this occasion though, he made money on his long from the unexpected spike up and made money on the short as traders used the rally as a selling opportunity. Hardly confusing really :)

As for margin, some marketmakers don't require any additional margin for opposite positions of an equal size.

Grid trading and hedging strategies are nothing new though, they all have varying degrees of success, some traders have actually made them work profitably.

If it makes money you can't call it BS just because you don't agree with it!

#27     Sep 9, 2008
  8. KS96

KS96

Yes.

I don't see your point.
    I keep my money in several currencies,
    and convert from one to another as I see fit
    while I am trading.

#28     Sep 9, 2008
  9. KS96

KS96

I read your post before. Maybe you should think a bit more before propagating the BS.

Wrong. Tired to explain... if the "strategy" offers you some kind of a psychological advantage, go ahead. Beyond such a psychological advantage, there nothing more than taking the 2 trades serially.

Maybe you should re-think if "normal market conditions" or "unexpected spike" mean anything at all in trading. Both phrases are meaningless imo.

#29     Sep 9, 2008
  10. Wrong. It's unlikely many would have been positioned long Eur/Usd on the off-chance of some unexpected Fannie and Freddie news. He was. He made profit from the spike up. That was obviously an advantage.

Grid trading isn't just "taking the 2 trades serially", do some research on the subject first before offering your uninformed opinion and calling something you don't understand BS :p

#30     Sep 9, 2008