Eurozone QE would be catastrophic for outside investors.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by morganist, Jan 14, 2012.

1. jo0477

jo0477

Yep, agree 100% on this point. Until they back them with "full faith and credit" who is going to take on that kind of risk? Greek 1 yrs are yielding around 400% now...

So what are the options for Greece and all the other dominoes that follow? No reason for large institutional holders to take a voluntary haircut assuming that many of them have hedged them with CDS's=default. If they make the haircut mandatory, this should qualify as a "credit event" by the ISDA, CDS are triggered=catastrophe.

If I'm missing something here, please feel free to fill in the blanks!

#11     Jan 15, 2012
  2. morganist

morganist Guest

What I am really saying is that the effect of debasement are as catastrophic as dropping the debt. Even on an international level.

#12     Jan 15, 2012
  3. jo0477

jo0477

I would agree with that if the risk of not stabilizing the debt situation first may result in that currency ceasing to exist at all - no euro has to be worse than than a weak euro if you're holding any EU paper (I personally wouldn't want to be made whole in a newly floating drachma). If the ECB won't step up and buy the debt, the member countries refuse to buy each others debt, and yields continue to skyrocket organically - what is the point of maintaining the union when the economic policies of each country differ so vastly and the ECB isn't backing the paper?

#13     Jan 15, 2012
  4. Whatever, mate...

I normally try to do my best to discuss stuff, no matter how outlandish, but in this case I just can't muster the energy necessary to wade through your confused ramblings. I am sorry.

#14     Jan 15, 2012
  5. morganist

morganist Guest

The answer you gave suggests you completely misunderstood the point I am making.

#15     Jan 16, 2012
  6. morganist

morganist Guest

I really don't see why what I said is so radical. I am simply saying that if there is devaluation of a currency on a domestic level to pay off debt it will have a devaluing effect on the exchange rate. As a foreign investor would have to be paid in their currency any repayment of the debt they had would be diminished by the exchange rate change the devaluation would have. So in effect the even if the Euro or its member states devalued their currency to pay off debt it would have almost the same effect as default. People will lose the bulk of there return in either event.

#16     Jan 16, 2012
  7. Yes, and the sky is blue. The point you're making is blindingly obvious. Yes, all else being equal, QE is likely to weaken the domestic currency, as well as discourage foreign investors from holding domestic currency-denominated bonds. However, it's also blindingly obvious to pretty much anyone that "all else" is anything but equal. As I have already mentioned, as someone who lives in the UK, you should be aware that ongoing BoE asset purchases have NOT had the effect described above. In fact, what has been going on is pretty much the exact opposite. Likewise, BoJ has been engaging in all sorts of QE for a good long time now. What has been the effect on yen and JGBs? Yes, you guessed it, a strengthening yen and foreign investors (namely, the Chinese) that can't seem to get enough of those tasty short-dated JGBs that yield next to nothing. I could go on, but you get the idea. Point is that QE is but one factor out of many and, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter. What matters is the need for "safe" assets and duration in the face of a possible Euro-geddon.

So here's my prediction for you. If the ECB does engage in QE, I expect EUR to rally (let's say, on a trade-weighted basis) and the average European bond yield (let's say, a GDP-weighted average) to fall.

#17     Jan 16, 2012
  8. morganist

morganist Guest

You have pointed out again you have completely missed my point.

The reason for the debasement is the debt that already exists. It is the debt that has to be paid off already not buying future debt as you suggest. This is the problem, what I am saying is that if the Euro prints money or if the member states leave and they print money to pay the debt the consequence is as severe as if they simply default. What I am saying in addition to that is the foreign investors who already own the debt that has to be paid back will lose out on the majority of their investment regardless of whether there is a default or printing money. The level of debt is so high that the cost of this scenario will be global.

In terms of your comments on QE in the UK and Japan. They are completely irrevelant. You are discussing QE which has been used to stimulate growth not to pay off existing debt. This is where the problem arises on an international level and the exchange rate comes into play. If the debts are owed abroad the money has to paid off in that currency so if the currency it is owed is devalued the amount of the foreign currency it can buy is diminished. This is not the case in the UK or Japan the QE is to stimulate the economy and stays in the economy thus the consequence of inflation is purely a national thing and only has an impact on the domestic economy. The situation in the EU whether it is joined or seperated is a global issue and will have a huge impact other countries return as a result of QE. QE is not an option for the Euro or the member states unless you want global collapse. What I am alluding to in the OP is that either another solution to the situation in the Eurozone has to be found or QE will lead to a catastrophic consequence to outside investors. That is what the title says is it not?

#18     Jan 16, 2012
  9. but the politicians fare better in an inflationary default than if they just admit they have created a mess... they aren't very concerned about the actual economies, they are all wealthy and will not feel the pain even a little bit.

#19     Jan 16, 2012
  10. morganist

morganist Guest

The default, whether QE or traditional, would be so damaging that the banking system would likely fail. Regardless people would lose savings pensions etc and would revolt. No amount of money the wealth have would prevent them from that.

#20     Jan 16, 2012