Europe's "prosperity" really a headfake?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by makloda, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Black economy exists in every country. Some more than others. But I wouldn't discount the USA black economy as being insignificant.

#21     Jan 27, 2010
  2. Very invalid measurement as european countries tax consumption alot more than usa. that money goes to provide free money to poor people. so poor people are definately happier in europe. also that job security is higher in europe, and there is more help from the government in case of illness, people in europe tend to have more quality of life.

#22     Jan 27, 2010
  3. that's what I really think is funny :

A lot of Americans wants to work in Europe but can't because of Visa... While at the same time a lot of Europeans want to work in the Us, but, same again, the Visas restrictions...

( While at the same time Illegal immigrants in both side of the ocean enjoy the ride ... )

Pathetik.

#23     Jan 27, 2010
  4. I was surprised that Ireland ranks above Switzerland. I thought there were only pockets of prosperity in Ireland with widespread pub-crawling, while all the Swiss drove around in their BMW's wearing dark three piece suits and overcoats..

(Remember, I am an American that has never been to Europe, so my world view is shaped 80% by movies & TV shows and 20% by Google news.)

Anybody ever been to both Ireland and Switzerland and can compare/contrast?

#24     Jan 27, 2010
  5. There is no comparison possible between both in any field which shows once more statistics are like bikini's.

They show everything but the most important.

#25     Jan 27, 2010