European vs. American style options

Discussion in 'Options' started by frank99, May 26, 2007.

1. frank99

frank99

Where can I get a list of European style options?

I'm particularly interested in European options that I can purchase shares of the underlying for.

Thanks,

Frank

2. Nanook

Nanook

3. MTE

MTE

Generally only index options are European style, equity options are American style.

4. frank99

frank99

5. Nanook

Nanook

You may want to contact the exchanges or try The Options Clearing Corporation @ 1-888-678-4667.

Good luck!

6. frank99

frank99

Nanook,

Thanks! I'll contact them.

Frank

7. Here in the U.S. pretty much all equity options are American style and most cash based indexe options are European style, thus there is no underlying to purchase unless you use something else to hedge (equivalent, i.e. SPY for SPX).

8. frank99

frank99

Optioncoach,

Thanks for the reply. What is the exact ratio of SPY to SPX? Is it 10 to 1? It appears to be 10 to 1, but I don't want to make any assumptions. I noticed the prices aren't ever the exact same, but they are very close.

What about DJX to DIA?

Thanks,

Frank

9. HOBO

HOBO

In the US, you can use European style options on futures (commodity, foreign exchange,…). Since these settle into the future contracts, you get 100% hedge. You can buy/sell the future contracts in a similar fashion you would buy/sell shares of a stock.

If you are looking for European style options on individual stocks, check Euronext Paris: http://www.euronext.com/trader/cont...ntractSpecifications-3084-EN.html?docid=47369
    Symbols ending with 2 or 3 are European style.
    (symbols ending with 1 are American style.)

10. frank99

frank99

Thanks HOBO!!

Frank

#10     May 28, 2007