euro getting tagged again! dollar rising

Discussion in 'Forex' started by killATwill, Oct 5, 2008.

1. I agree, no one should be in the market leveraged and on the wrong side of these big-boys-moves...

For the long term, sure, the USD will weaken as realities are what they are - even shoring up on economic stability.

#11     Oct 5, 2008
  2. Whoa...something just happened. EUR/JPY dropped 60 points in a sneeze.

#12     Oct 5, 2008
  3. Not more serious, just somewhat unexpected. In the past days, New Zealand and Ireland officially declared to be in recession. Only now is the magnitude of recession (or worse) in the eurozone, austral-asia, etc being priced in. jmo

#13     Oct 5, 2008
  4. MGJ

MGJ

#14     Oct 5, 2008
  5. #15     Oct 5, 2008
  6. You really don't get it do you? Trichet got exactly want he wanted. A weaker, export friendlier Euro without needing to bastardize rates.........

#16     Oct 5, 2008
  7. A Macro reason why the USD is rising:

"The Lehman Brothers Europe bankruptcy has ENDED London's presumed benefits from Wall Street's unfolding demise because segregation of customer accounts is nonexistent. Customers are NOW creditors in the bankruptcy. US law prevents this."

The Source for the article - Ty Andros

http://www.safehaven.com/showarticle.cfm?id=11403&pv=1

My words- In short, this means the Global Investors are fleeing the fact that segregation of client accounts is non-existent in many European banks. The net effect is perhaps a temporary move up in the USD.

I have been short EURJPY since June 20th.

#17     Oct 5, 2008
  8. dhpar

dhpar

you do not change your currency just because you may need to change the location of your money...

#18     Oct 5, 2008
  9. just21

just21

Also Euro banks getting rescued as they are more leveraged than US investment banks were. Deutsche bank is 50 to 1, Barclays is 60 to 1. Compared with 33 to 1 for Lehman and 40 to 1 for Merril. They probably have less CDO and MBS though.

#19     Oct 5, 2008
  10. Dh, does my comment have any relevance with regards to creditworthiness of a nation given that a group of investors / creditors gets thrown out with the bathwater?

#20     Oct 5, 2008