Euro FX Short Strangle

Discussion in 'Options' started by Prevail, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Prevail

Prevail Guest

I thought some of you might appreciate a graphical presentation of the strikes on a chart.

• euro.jpg
      File size:
      122.4 KB
      Views:
    #21     Jun 27, 2005

2. July has 15 weeks left?

#22     Jun 27, 2005
  3. Prevail

Prevail Guest

Week Days. Now there are 10.

#23     Jun 27, 2005
  4. Prevail,

Do you have a specific price close to the strike (118) where you will hedge/cover? Or is it a case of evaluating the market on the fly?

Having looked at the prices a week ago and looking now there doesn't seem to be much change (.0009x.0014 on IB with EUR at 1.1987). I guess the theta has offset whatever delta and IV moves have occurred.

Thanks,

Sam

#24     Jul 1, 2005
  5. Prevail

Prevail Guest

Thanks for the question. As of the close of yesterday at the cme (not sure about IB) I'm showing the puts worth .00035 and the calls worth .00005/cab. This translates to the trade being worth $50, a profit of $200 not including commissions.

Some of this will be given back after today's sell off. Right now the stop is the strike, if it hits it, we buy it back.

#25     Jul 1, 2005
  6. Quite puzzled about the IB quotes...especially compared to the pit options shown on the CME site -- @ .0130.

However, I am also puzzled about your position. Can you show me where I am going wrong...

I thought you had a 20 tick credit on the strangle -- @$250 as you say. The call is going to go out worthless that is pretty obvious.

If the put is worth .0035 (35 ticks right?) and you wanted to close it out now for some reason wouldn't you be out 15 ticks net?

Thanks for any help...

#26     Jul 1, 2005
  7. JayS

JayS

Thats 3.5 ticks (3.5 x 12.5 = $43.75) not 35 ticks. Today the put closed at 13 or $162.50.

#27     Jul 1, 2005
  8. Jay,

Do the options get quoted differently then ?

A tick on the underlying EUR contract is .0001 right?

Thanks,

Sam

Also, the CME link would suggest otherwise right?

Link

#28     Jul 1, 2005
  9. Prevail

Prevail Guest

Hi ss, as jay said the puts closed at 13 and as you said the trade's credit was 20. Still profitable but if it gets stopped out soon it will be a losing trade.

incidentally, for those of you observing the options movement with me, the premiums seem to drop off rapidly the further out of the money the strikes are. While this is not unusual, and characteristic of options, it appears much more pronounced than the sp for example.

As many of us know, sp puts are often worth twice the value of calls when otm. When looking at the eurofx option prices I would probably conclude it is like looking at the sp with call prices on either side instead of put prices on either side, since they appear comparable. This is a punctuation of another point, however, and it illustrates how completely over valued index put prices are.

If otm options are underpriced in any capacity then risk is not being compensated for and long strangles would be more beneficial over the long term, even if the win rate is less than 30%. It would be difficult to trade psychologically though. At this time I still feel the strangle writer has the edge and will continue to test with single contract sizes.

Any input from fx options traders, on or off exchange, is appreciated.

#29     Jul 1, 2005
  10. cmk

cmk

I work there

#30     Jul 1, 2005