Eurex Vols

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by doublechin, Jul 1, 2010.

1. That's a good point,I read somewhere that MF Global were either 1 or 2 on CME so we must presume that they do plenty on Eurex as well.

If they have screwed over RSJ in the process then that's something I guess.

#31     Nov 14, 2011
  2. syrre

syrre

Yes, you are absolutely right, I dont have the numbers here, but their London branch did alot.
    I was told by one of their brokers that with an average of about 100 contracts a day I would be his smallest customer...

#32     Nov 14, 2011
  3. I fear it's a result of exchanges condoning the imo disgraceful behaviour that's been commonplace the last 6-7 years.

By allowing these giant alleged mm's to pretty much do as they please despite numerous wanings from locals they are in a position now where if a big fund or broker goes down the market is severely impacted.

Makes a good case for having lots and lots of smaller players indirectly market making,picking up the slack as and when needs be as opposed to 2 or 3 giants.

Say for instance that RSJ suddenly went out of business,what would happen then.

( I use RSJ as an example here as I read somewhere that do a huge amount of volume at liffe,something ridiculous like 40%)

#33     Nov 14, 2011
  4. Dogfish

Dogfish

#34     Nov 14, 2011
  5. Are you going?

If so I would be interested to hear their take on the diving volume and how they see a way out.

Somethings definitely up,stoxx range about 75 ticks on well under 850,000 - that's unheard of.

#35     Nov 14, 2011
  6. Dogfish

Dogfish

Yeah I'll be at the Dubai one, interested to hear their take on the proposed transaction tax and if it does happen if they will move it all to SGX who are sharing the drinks do with them.

#36     Nov 14, 2011
  7. I would too.

Considering the spectacular cock-up they made with the terrific pool of business they had developed by allowing a "do as you please" ethic aimed at algo traders.

The Eurex reasoning is often hard to follow.

#37     Nov 14, 2011
  8. This morning bunds trade an impressive 88 tick range on a very unimpressive 90,000 lots.

Going forward this will get worse leading into year end.

In the past when volatility was high volumes tended to be too.Personally mine and almost everyone I know volumes would jump,i guess to meet demand from paper needing to cover trades.The algo method seems to be to run away at the first sign they may get legged up,then return when it quietens down to show huge size that no-one needs to do.

Did the Eurex reps have anything to say regarding the drop in volumes?

#38     Nov 16, 2011
  9. Dogfish

Dogfish

No they had no answers, happy to rave about the record volume days in their kospeii product though. As for tobin tax they said they had heard no strategy planning for it at their level if it is implemented and basically said they just hoped it wouldn't happen because if it does it's game over. The cash bond guy said it would blow the bid ask out but continue in some form. The SGX lot said would be complex getting the licenses to move it and work out the settlement. Knowing how slow the asian exchanges are to do anything it's probably a non starter. I guess it would go to cme.

#39     Nov 16, 2011
  10. FGBL07

FGBL07

Does EurexUS still exist? That would be an easy way to move their business to another jurisdiction probably free of such taxes.

Whether they could do it politically is another question.

#40     Nov 16, 2011