Eurex Newbie Questions....

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by lindq, Feb 13, 2009.

1. garak

garak

=>so it isn't possible to buy limit on the ask? for example, is see 50 on the ask and send a 75 order to buy on this ask, this order always has to be a market order.
    but can i change the attributes of this order so the remaining 25 don't get filled on the ask above? so that in a way i am limiting the fill of the 75 order to one price.

Technically you're right. But there is no difference in aggressiveness. A limit order at the ask just secures the price doesn't overshoot the level the buyer intends to pay whereas the remaining contracts not filled "become" limit bid oders in the DOM.

=> I do not understand this. how is a market order represented on the DoM?

You mentioned the 200 sell order. What do you think that is? As I said there is no real difference between an aggressive limit order or a market order.

how do i find out who offers more than the 10 levels i have?

You have to ask potential brokers.

#11     Mar 18, 2009
  2. jimmy s

jimmy s

thank you for the reply's.
    they have been helpful.

#12     Mar 18, 2009
  3. cvds16

cvds16

looking at 5 , 10 or 20 levels deep won't make any difference whatsoever in your trading ... I don't even watch the bid and ask, I just trade whatever I feek is right to trade.

#13     Mar 18, 2009
  4. jimmy s

jimmy s

but what makes you a successful trader is that you feel right, you feel marketdirection.
    but where does this feeling originate, what 'signals' are you looking for.
    are these chart patterns, volume patterns, market sentiment based on news, correlated markets or certain technical indicators...

apparently i don't have this feeling (yet).
    but i do think you can work on it by screen time. but the right things have to be on your screen. not just pretty ladies:)

#14     Mar 18, 2009
  5. cvds16

cvds16

I mainly trade eur/usd and have 28 charts of them on my screen + 1 of the euro-future. Ranging from daily to 30 seconds.

#15     Mar 18, 2009
  6. jimmy s

jimmy s

I'm going to have to get some more screens :)
    currently running of a 12 inch laptop screen and a secondary 20 inch screen.
    that's not going to properly show 28 plus charts.

#16     Mar 18, 2009
  7. cvds16

cvds16

yeah, I got 4 22inch ones

#17     Mar 18, 2009
  8. jimmy s

jimmy s

#18     Mar 18, 2009
  9. cvds16

cvds16

bought myself some screens at 4allclients.be (they are cheap), a dell pc with quad card and ergotronic stand.

#19     Mar 18, 2009
  10. cvds16

cvds16

Jimmy also try to read up a bit on Paul Rotter, the man loved playing games with naive locals who just watched the order book. There is some info here on ET and you'll quite easily find an interview of him if you google a bit.

#20     Apr 4, 2009