EUREX HUB in Miami anyone?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by esmjb, Nov 12, 2005.

1. esmjb

esmjb

i feel its quite important you call them yourselves so you can be educated properly and then perhaps get some suggestions to make improvements to your existing connection, if possible.

#31     Nov 15, 2005
  2. lol, no offense to anyone, but this is ET at its best/worst :D

#32     Nov 15, 2005
  3. muppet

muppet

It's funny, coz I did speak to Eurex, and got the answer I (or in fact anyone who's given it a moment's logical relection) expected.

I've got a feeling you don't know the answer to this question of timestamping, or why it can only be done 1 way.

That and the fact you don't know you don't know makes you a prime ignoramous.

#33     Nov 15, 2005
  4. Yep, they cannot reverse other trades if they get in info with "earlier timestamp" or whatever... Sounds like the only logical to me.

#34     Nov 15, 2005
  5. esmjb

esmjb

orders are timestamped at the hub you connect to. from there all the orders are put into a "holding bin" in germany and sorted out by their server. the exchange utilizes a throttle type mechanism to ensure a level playing field for all users located in cities with hubs. so actually a person who enters an order in frankfurt has his order timestamped and then delayed in order for eurex to collect the orders from all the other hubs and then trades are matched up according to the timestamp from the regional hub.

#35     Nov 15, 2005
  6. banana

banana

Do you still believe in Santa Claus?

Also can you tell me what "holding bin" and "throttle type mechanism" - are these terms that your friends at the Eurex Technical Help Desk used?

#36     Nov 15, 2005
  7. esmjb

esmjb

its quite obvious from context what they mean banana.

now, perhaps i would find this difficult to believe if i didnt have experience trading on eurex from chicago, london and paris and found no difference in speed. you can hate on if you like but it will fall on deaf ears because i am done arguing with you about this...

#37     Nov 15, 2005
  8. banana

banana

It's not obvious to a thicko like me :(

Did Eurex Technical Help use these words? They've never used them with me. So can you elucidate please.

#38     Nov 15, 2005
  9. dantes

dantes

esmjb is correct. Eurex is one of very few exchanges who do this very complicated process to make sure that regardless of distance to the central exchange engine you have the same time to it.

The reason they have a hub in Helsinki is historic: Eurex used to have a cooperation with the Finnish exchange regarding listing of equity options.

#39     Nov 16, 2005
  10. Hi esmjb,

what is the advantage of a very fast time stamp if the quotes are delayed, and you will have a quote delay in Miami compared to Germany ?
    I am trading Dax from Germany and I have to say that I have a lot of delay in quotes here (maybe cause I trade through IB) but executions are fast. I get execution about 0.3-0.5 seconds (did not exactly measure it, so its only a guess) bevore I can see my trade in the quotes, strange.

#40     Nov 16, 2005