Eurex Does A U Turn - Bobl Full Tick Cancelled

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by THE-BEAKER, May 11, 2009.

1. "Wouldn't that be good for the algos? "

WRONG

#11     May 15, 2009
  2. Are you taking the piss?

If you aren't then go away and do some homework,clearly at this time you're not in a position to be involved in a discussion that you obviously know nothing about.

#12     May 15, 2009
  3. Kap

Kap

similar to the ES mini moving in 0.25 as opposed to 0.1 like the pit trades, same interests for the Algos/quants...and me :-o

#13     May 15, 2009
  4. aceholic

aceholic

That's funny, I know a handful of guys that use algo trading in the bobl and they were very excited when they heard it was going back to full ticks... and very dissapointed to hear that it wasn't happening yet.

Perhaps they just use algo trading in a different way?

Or perhaps you need to do some homework. I saw this quote:
    You haven't linked the growth of algo trading to the growth of the market? You do realize that algo trading has been around for years, right? And you also understand that the current lack of volume is due largely to massive deleveraging as well as some major players drying up, right? Not to mention that the recent economic uncertainty is making it very risky for speculators to trade massive size.

Everyone needs an excuse I guess, but who will you blame if your results stay the same after the bobl goes back to full ticks?

#14     May 16, 2009
  5. These markets have definitely deteriorated over the last few years,if you had any real experience you would know that.

Historically futures markets have seen volumes increase when uncertainty is in the air,since the algos have arrived this has changed,only an idiot would think this is an achievement.

I would worry about your own results and not mine,where exactly did I say I traded Bobl anyway?I'm glad you found time to read through my old posts,are you some sort of weirdo stalker?

I see by the way you spell 'realise' you are American,instead of getting involved with things you know nothing about perhaps you should learn to spell 'disappoint' correctly,but being a yank I suppose ignorance/stupidity is to be expected.

#15     May 16, 2009
  6. TsunTzu

TsunTzu

Just my opinion, and I have expressed this in another thread in the Eurex forum. I think that full tick Bobl would benefit the algo's and I for one am happier with it staying half ticks. For my trading style I prefer lower liquidity with greater volatility. The reason why I think full ticks suit the Algo's is that with any high frequency trading model your costs are going to eat into your profit. Lower the tick value and the greater your cost as a proportion, thus lower profitability.

I would be very suprised if Eurex had changed thier minds on this due to an Algo trading complaint. I think it is far more likley that it is s technical problem with either the clearing side or margining side. It seems a more sensible appoach to change tick size when the contract rolls, if indeed they still have any intention to do so.

#16     May 18, 2009
  7. Dogfish

Dogfish

It's those directly involved in the bond auctions that benefit from the half tic and are miffed about it reverting. Eurex explained it to me when it first went to halves but I was hitting their free bar at the time and can't recall the details :p

#17     May 19, 2009
  8. well here we are still with no news what so ever from eurex.

no official annoucnement on the latest news section of the eurex website.

just the original newsflash.

call me old fashioned but i do believe this full tick will not come back.

i maybe wrong and stand ready to be proven wrong.

i dont buy into this ' software companies were not ready ' bullshit.

they changed it to half tick easy enough if i remember correctly.

liffe did not delay the sterling full tick and plenty of people and algo companies trade that.

it was a small fish that we hooked for a while but alas its gone.

thanks a bunch eurex.

i hope the volume falls again.

#18     May 19, 2009
  9. TsunTzu

TsunTzu

Liffe sterling is cash settled, it makes it easy to change tick size. I believe it is technically more difficult to increase the tick size on a deliverable contract as it has a knock on effect on the basis and CTD calculations.

#19     May 19, 2009
  10. I don't know what everyone is bitching about.

BOBL trades in full .01 ticks already - at least most of the time :D

#20     May 19, 2009