Eurex Comes to US Markets

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by jearnest, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Cutten

Cutten

I can't do it through my London-based firm yet, at least not last time I checked (couple of weeks ago). Do you know which firms based in the UK are offering Eurex US?

#41     Feb 26, 2004
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

No, my argument was that Chicago would survive, more then likely with a hybrid system like they have now, half pit, half screen. My argument was that futures would eventually go to the screen and the options would stay in the pits.

All I heard on this board how the CBOT/CME/CBOE was going to shut down its doors and call it a day as soon as Eurex came here. All I heard was how the second Eurex started trading all the big American banks and insitutions would be falling over each other to trade on Eurex. Of course now we can see that obviously is not the case. But boy did I get slapped around for awhile defending my stance.

#42     Feb 26, 2004
  3. Eugene

Eugene

#43     Feb 27, 2004
  4. Makes me laugh once again. Final approval granted by 8 different regulators on a single day ? Wow !

But how about UK ? What does the press release say about them ?
    You are allowed to trade - or you are not allowed to trade ?

#44     Feb 27, 2004
  5. IMHO, I see more and more block trades happening on a daily basis for more and more size electronically. TYAM is 2000 up on a more consistant basis. I believe these lower fees on the cbot are actually facilitating the move from the pit, however unintentionally. The volitilty although great is much more subdued these days when a guy clicks with a thousand lot.
    Say goodbye to the locals (liquidity providers) in the pits first, and then its curtains for treasury futures on the floor. I give it a couple years, tops. This has happened before, i.e. LIFFE coffee/cocoa/etc.. Seat prices will probably continue to rise year after year, as well.

EurexUs isn't cutting the mustard. It's 1% of the cbot volume or less and thats MM's trading with themselves. Until the volume picks up by 5000 a week for two months straight there no immediate cause for concern. Euro banks must get involved soon or this thing goes under by the fall.

#45     Mar 31, 2004