Eurex Comes to US Markets

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by jearnest, Oct 8, 2003.

1. I don't know if they will or not but one thing is for sure it is WAAAAY too early to tell who will win this battle.

Plus, now that the CBOT has dropped their fees it could be just a slower race to the alter with the CME for them.

Either way we're all paying less to trade the curve now. Gotta love that.

Viva la competition.

#31     Feb 25, 2004
  2. Eugene

Eugene

The only thing that will save Eurex is liquidity from their brethren. As I understand it, UK and European firms can't trade yet in the US on these Eurex products...Don't know the size but until they check in we can't write the end of the story yet.

#32     Feb 25, 2004
  3. Uhhmmmm... I think that is not correct.
    Most participants should be able to trade EurexUS, from the technical view as well as legal issues.

#33     Feb 25, 2004
  4. Of course you can trade from UK and Europe. But EurexUS is stupid enough to tell everyone and his dog, that you cannot trade and must wait 6 months for FSA approval or something like that.

#34     Feb 26, 2004
  5. Eugene

Eugene

#35     Feb 26, 2004
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

Anyone see CME lately? The stock is making a new high today at 93. It doesn't look like the Merc is hurting. That stock is on fire. I thought the Merc was going to shut down for business as soon as Eurex started trading. I don't understand. Why is the stock making all time highs?

#36     Feb 26, 2004
  7. Chitown

Chitown

Nice try but as was mentioned before there is no way to get a good fill on Eurex or any screen on any order of size. Too many institutions have it good in the pits and that is what matters. That is who is ultimately going to decide the fate of the CBOT and any pit. It is not somebody who is trading 1 lots. When the institutions bring their orders outside of the pits thats when things will start to unravel.

Since the issue in your post is time...When the institutions pull their orders from the pit to the screens it will be with the CBOt still. There are too many alliances there.

IMO, worse thing that happened to the CBOT was Arbor wasting the millions on the new building. Horrible mistake and waste of money.

#37     Feb 26, 2004
  8. * Belgium
    * Finland
    * Gibraltar
    * Ireland
    * Sweden

Just what I said, they publish such a stupid list and give the impression that you cannot trade EurexUS from France, Germany, Italy, Luxemburg, Switzerland or UK. Makes me ROTFL !

#38     Feb 26, 2004
  9. Eugene,

I can assure you the London guys are _able_ to trade EurexUS.

#39     Feb 26, 2004
  10. Cutten

Cutten

Mav, Pabst - was your prediction that the bond pits would survive? Or that Chicago would survive, but in screen form? I don't think anyone said Chicago would die if they went electronic and got competitive on fees?

So far I see CBOT slashing their screen fees. That makes the screen relatively more attractive compared to the pit. This just hastens the demise of the floor IMO.

People are confusing pit vs screen with CBOT vs Eurex. The screen will kill the pit, regardless of whether it is a CBOT screen or a Eurex screen.

#40     Feb 26, 2004