EU bank stress test

Discussion in 'Trading' started by atticus, Jul 22, 2010.

1. My guess is that its a non-event. If there is a sell-off tomorrow, I think the most likely reason is that equities are trading closer to the top rather than the bottom of their recent range, rather than anything to do w/the stress tests.

#11     Jul 22, 2010
  2. Daal

Daal

Results ahead of schedule: EU banks are well capitalized
    I cant name my sources

#12     Jul 22, 2010
  3. :D

Someone should start a death pool ... which banks are going to get thrown under the bus to prove how tough the stress tests were?

#13     Jul 22, 2010
  4. The European markets have had some big down days since last thursday. A rally was due.

European markets are forming a big ascending wedge on the daily charts. I'm favoring a breakdown, but we will probably see strength on Friday. Monday should be good to get short again. Taking any position into this weekend is dangerous.

Even if the results of the stress test are bad, they cannot come out and say it. Otherwise, everyone will pull their money out and we'll be worse of than before.

Deductive logic favors a 'no problems here' statement while they furiously work behind the scenes to correct whatever is really wrong.

#14     Jul 22, 2010
  5. Shhh... anyway, my sources tell me that the e-stoxx was up 3% today!

The EU's problem is no longer banks; it's the backstop (Sovereign default).

#15     Jul 22, 2010
  6. Looks like you were right, atticus... They stress test only the trading books and don't look at what's held in accrual accounts. It's a jawk.

#16     Jul 23, 2010
  7. Dogfish

Dogfish

The Credit suisse preview nailed it few days ago

"We also regret that the stress test may not factor in potential losses on government bonds
    in AFS and HTM portfolios, but only in trading portfolios. This is understandable in
    accounting terms because losses are incurred on these only in the event of an actual
    impairment rather than in the event of a movement in market value, but an option could
    have been to market-to-market all portfolios under the assumptions that banks may be
    forced sellers. Indeed Greek banks’ government bonds exposure is in HTM portfolios, thus
    is unlikely to be impacted by the stress test. This is regrettable in our view, as this exposes
    the test to criticism."

#17     Jul 23, 2010
  8. The utterance of "m*rk to m*rket" is punishable by death.

#18     Jul 23, 2010
  9. Yes, pretty much all the strategists predicted that they're gonna do this, but I held out hope that the Eurocrats "get it" this time arnd. Seems like it's disappointment time for me.

#19     Jul 23, 2010
  10. There will not be Q4 failures, if European banks have finally learned what the ECB has telling them for over 2 years : strenghten your damn balance sheet. Recapitalize. Over and over and over again.

#20     Jul 23, 2010