Etrade. Safe or not?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by barnetda, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Etrade got heavy into mortgages, TDAmeritrade didn't.

#21     Nov 12, 2007
  2. longhorns ....i agree with you on all 3 counts

but every firm has issues ....buisness issues......regulatory issues....customer service issues........competitive issues etc etc

wall street is the buisness we have chosen for ourselves and wall street is a people buisness....etrades major assets are its people ...some are sharks who will front run you some are not.

if etrade goes down many good people will be hurt ...and their familys will suffer....and it will be very difficult for many to get started again....

i wish them well...............................g

#22     Nov 12, 2007
  3. is shorthairs still alive? been on ignore so long, I forgot about 'it'.

wouldnt listen to anything that jagazz said though

#23     Nov 12, 2007
  4. Hey everyone, stock777 is back!!!!

Get ready for another easy money "stock pick" from the single greatest fade this website has ever seen.

#24     Nov 12, 2007
  5. GeoVH

GeoVH

Looks like Etrade could end up toast.

ETrade is getting killed in the market today while TDAmeritrade is up 5%. It's always amazed me how millions of idiots (ie. the market) seems to know more that the smartest of us all. The market knows all. Maybe the market thinks TDAmeritrade will end up with Etrades customers?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aqif1FOQmJ7c&refer=home

#25     Nov 12, 2007
  6. You deserve to lose everything if you listened to those phone monkeys.

#26     Nov 12, 2007
  7. On a different note, what would happen if you OWE them money, e.g. a house call, and they went under?

#27     Nov 12, 2007
  8. capmac

capmac

If one has an account, I wouldn't worry about paying back margin calls.

:D

#28     Nov 12, 2007
  9. Toronto Dominion Bank owns 35% of TDAmeritrade. TD Bank has 0% exposure to subprime situation.

TDAmeritrade can go bankrupt but it's unlikely, given that TD Bank, one of the "big 6" Canadian banks, and one of the most solid banks in the world, would allow TDAmeritrade management to behave irresponsibly.

There is no similarity between TDAmeritrade and E-Trade ( a company without backing ) insofar as their backing and balance sheets are concerned..

AMTD is up today because E-Trade's clients are switching to TDAmeritrade.

#29     Nov 12, 2007
  10. They'd sell your debt and maybe some day somebody will come after you for it.

#30     Nov 12, 2007