Ethereum Vs. Bitcoin: Is ETH the better investment?

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by Pekelo, May 31, 2017.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

This thread isn't about challenging cryptos, but deciding which one makes you the most money. Sure if you can get early on a new one, that is the biggest winner, but because we care about risk, I am only going to look at established cryptos.

Looks like ETH is outperforming BTC lately. From the recent selloff ETH not just completely recovered, but already is at new ATHs. (210 to 228)

https://www.worldcoinindex.com/coin/ethereum

BTC using Bitstamp dropped from $2760 and today is still only at $2222, that is still 20% lower.

Now let's look at their moves before the selloff. From the mid-Apr plateau ETH went from 50 to 210, BTC from 1200ish to 2760. The clear winner is ETH, with 300+%. Further "advantage" is that after the previous top (210) ETH dropped more than BTC, so if you were a believer that was cheaper discount days then BTC's. As already noted, ETH is up 80% from the recent low, BTC is only up 20%.

So if you are a crypto lover you might want to think about which ones is more in your heart or which one makes you more money...

RayTrader likes this.
  2. AbbotAle

AbbotAle

Assume ETH is better than BTC.

But what happens if ABC becomes better than ETH?

And then if XYZ becomes better than ABC.

And so on.

Barriers to entry don't seem that high at all with C-Currencies. Some semi-genius 15 year old can probably do the programming in a month or less. Granted, getting it accepted and traded is another thing, but still...

3. Pekelo

Pekelo

Now let's throw Litecoin into the picture, thus making it a proper race:

LTC's going up from the mid-Apr plateau to the ATH high: 11 to 36 >>>>> beats BTC

Sell off drop: 34.8 to 15 >>> cheaper then BTC

Recovery: 15 to 24 >>>worse than BTC

So LTC's price action was better before the ATH but worse recovery later. I guess the future is unclear, which one is going to perform better, take your pick...

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/markets/btce/ltcusd

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

Exactly. I was never a BTC fan for the reasons you state, it can be overtaken by a better crypto anytime. But again, in this thread we are looking at them as investment opportunities.

So we could translate your ponderable as this: What if TSLA is better than AMZN? What would you do with your AMZN stocks? What if NFLX is better than your TSLA that you just switch to?

See? The dilemma is exactly the same when you evaluate them as investments, not something that you believe in and close to your heart...

5. AbbotAle

AbbotAle

Agree Pek, but at least there's something behind the stocks you mention and therefore becoming better, or taking over, from AMZN or TSLA is going to take far more than a month of programming.

6. WeToddDid2

WeToddDid2

What about Ripple?

7. WeToddDid2

WeToddDid2

IMHO ETH and XRP are both better long term fundamentally than bitcoin. But, I don't know much about cryptocurrencies.

https://www.ethereum.org

Ethereum is a decentralized platform that runs smart contracts: applications that run exactly as programmed without any possibility of downtime, censorship, fraud or third party interference.

These apps run on a custom built blockchain, an enormously powerful shared global infrastructure that can move value around and represent the ownership of property. This enables developers to create markets, store registries of debts or promises, move funds in accordance with instructions given long in the past (like a will or a futures contract) and many other things that have not been invented yet, all without a middle man or counterparty risk.

https://ripple.com

Ripple works with banks to transform how they send money around the world — a necessary step to compete in today’s growing economy.

Ripple clients:

[​IMG]

8. Pekelo

Pekelo

You could have posted the relevant info, do I have to do everything??? I looked it up, Ripple is a penny crypto, so to speak, so I wouldn't touch it...

I see, your posted fundamentals, but all we care here is price action. It is possible Ripple becomes the new kid on the crypto block, but right now with its penny evaluation (that usually means too many coins created) I would be hesitant to touch it...

Also I am not sure just how deep the market is for Ripple? Can you easily move the price? If so, then charts mean nothing, even tough it had a 6 times return between mid-Apr to ATH...

https://xrpcharts.ripple.com/#/mark...ZzP3Aw4Eubs59B?interval=1d&range=3m&type=line

9. WeToddDid2

WeToddDid2

Uhhhh....see next post.

10. ^ that. WeTodd is right. It's not solely about the coins, it's the blockchains and their respective functions, if I'm understanding it right. I've got further reading to do.

I'm wondering why Goldman and Morgan went off Ethereum and formed their own blockchain.

#10     May 31, 2017