ETF's that track temperature :)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sanaz3, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Sanaz3

Sanaz3

Well, I was thinking of coming up with something funny and cool:cool:
    and thought why not have an exchange market for ETF's that track every city's temperature. For instance, an ETF for temp in Los Angeles (ticker: LAT), one for Denver Co (DENT), one for New York city (NYCT)...and for foreign investment, we would have ETF's for Tokyo (TOKT), Brussels (BRUT), Tehran (TEHT)...etc :) It would be fun to trade such ETF's or futures contracts on temperatures and very easy to predict the trend. We could have this market running 24/7-365 since there is always a temperature to track. And this market would be one of the least-manipulated markets since everybody would have access to the same information: yup, the whether forecast on TV/internet all the time:D

For instance, if you bought 1000 shares of DENT at $60 (the ETF for Denver since the temperature is 60F) and tomorrow it is warmer, then you have a profit and a loss if it gets cooler. But you dont have to sell it for a loss, maybe next month it becomes too hot!!!!! And if you think tomorrow or next week it's going to be a bit cooler, then you would short sell it:)

Yeah, I know you want to say: " then everybody would buy in winter, sell in summer AND short in summer, cover it in winter". Well, that'd make sense, why not? :D

So, what do you think of this new "financial instrument" that is going to revolutionize the history of gambling?:p

I forgot to add: we could also have INDEX ETFs like the "T&T 500", which would be the average temperature of the 500 largest cities in the US.

2. Sanaz3

Sanaz3

And then nobody would worry about the global warming, because in the long run, it would help the markets grow, a good sign of "climate growth":)