ETF (Sectors) swing trading

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by richk, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Also, I'm still holding EWJ. This trade more than made up for my stupidity with XLK: I bought on 8/5 @ 7.45 and it's jumped every day in a nice trend. EWJ behaves much differently than any US index, so I'm looking for what I consider a negative sign and then I'll jump ship at close. But I want to ride it as long as I can - go go Tokyo!

#41     Aug 20, 2003
  2. richk

richk

Yes it is shallow, but I read somewhere, that when the pullback under resistance is no big and price is consolidating under resistance for a longer time without any big down-correction, then breakout has to be much more strong then if down-correction is larger and share has to go up longer way to break out resistance. It was writen in thought about equities and because I think ETF is only combination of equities, it can works too. That why I entered position in DIA (not in QQQ even QQQ was much more stronger - good for daytrade)

I believe we will share ideas soon in private discussion room I am preparing and that this will improve our ETF trading .

#42     Aug 21, 2003
  3. richk

richk

Very good entry, I missed it as I do not track international ETFs and ETFs under 10 USD. What was setup idea ? Entry/Stop/target ? I think the trailing stop is now good idea - where is your trail-stop now ?

I hope you will be sharing such ideas in the private ETF room I mentioned in last post (will send you info next week by priv.message).

#43     Aug 21, 2003
  4. This came from observing that EWJ is very sensitive to Boll Bands over the last year and so I took a chance with a tight stop. I figured it had a great risk/reward. And I'll be lookin'...

#44     Aug 21, 2003
  5. richk

richk

Closed DIA Long today.
    partially on 95, partially on 94.23 (trailing stop). I am not happy with it but last selloff was something I did not like.

#45     Aug 21, 2003
  6. I'm still in but with a pretty tight stop, but I agree with you: this is getting scary. This is such a languishing market. Nothing has any power behind it in either direction. It might also just be the boring a case of a "triangle turned rectangle."

#46     Aug 21, 2003
  7. I traded my SPY for MDY.

#47     Aug 22, 2003
  8. I'm betting the farm: just bought IWM as well on the (what I hope is a mini-pullback).

#48     Aug 22, 2003
  9. richk

richk

I am waiting for short of XLF and BBH (those 2 setups I have for today)

#49     Aug 22, 2003
  10. richk

richk

1st part of XLF short executed at 25.27.

#50     Aug 22, 2003