ETF (Sectors) swing trading

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by richk, Aug 14, 2003.

1. slightly off topic but, do you think wedge patterns (or any similar "patterns") have any validity? They are subjective to even identify.

If you put a dozen traders in a room all looking at the same charts they will come up with different wedge formations on the same charts.

I'm not saying they are useless, just that one should really test the validity of a pattern and not accept conventional wisdom from the trading community.

#21     Aug 17, 2003
  2. There is a thread that discusses this in the Strategy Trading or Technical Analysis forum I think. It's called So These Pattrns Really Work. You might search for it or browse the contents pages.

Anyway, I think the fairest thing to say is that wedges, flags, etc., are merely periods of consolidation. And breaks from consolidation provide decent trading opportunities. Studies have been done on predictiveness with some fairly remarkable results. I like them. Others don't. But if you remember that their real value is defining periods of consolidation, that is truly all you need to know.

#22     Aug 17, 2003
  3. Absolutely agree. fyi: Active Trader's most recent mag had an article by a lady who apparently trades flags/pennants successfully, but it gave no details.

#23     Aug 17, 2003
  4. #24     Aug 17, 2003
  5. problem ive seen with these are teh spreads, not as big of deal if you are planning on a swing, but still ive seen spreads as high as 1/2 point, and they can really eat into profit even on a swing where your profit objecticve is 1-3 points or so... you need patience and skill ot get a good fill... i liek the idea of arbing htem, i.e i was considering long banks short SPY, b/c of of factors such as steepening yield curve and a spread on the yield btw. sectors...
    anyone else arbing indexes

#25     Aug 17, 2003
  6. Yes, last week I was watching them and very often observed spreads, even on high volume etfs of .3-.4%. It's not always all day, but even if it's for an hour or two it's a killer imo.

#26     Aug 17, 2003
  7. richk

richk

Yes, I think 17.8 is good stop if you entered about 17.2. Good luck

#27     Aug 18, 2003
  8. richk

richk

XLK is probably out , but look to (pharma) PPH weakness in this rally !! . Had nice short setup but PPH fell down (I expected pullback today to short it). :(

Anybody else interested in discussing swing ETF trades ? :confused:
    Countdown to open of special discussion already started ... :)

#28     Aug 19, 2003
  9. So you were going to play off the ma? Do you look for "confirmation"?

#29     Aug 19, 2003
  10. richk

richk

My setup was easy:
    Short 76.3, stop 77.15, Target: 73.5 - 72.8 - 72.1

• pph.gif
      File size:
      70.5 KB
      Views:
    #30     Aug 19, 2003