ETF (Sectors) swing trading

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by richk, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Here's a list of about a dozen of the largest ETFs with LQD (bonds) and 2 gold-related CEFs thrown in. etfconnect.com is good site for general information.

BBH
    DIA
    EWJ
    IWM
    LQD
    MDY
    OIH
    QQQ
    SMH
    SPY
    XLF
    XLK
    XLU
    ASA
    CEF

Here's a list of "medium" and up ETFs:

BBH
    DIA
    EFA
    EWH
    EWJ
    EWM
    EWT
    EWW
    EWY
    EWZ
    IBB
    IGV
    IJJ
    IJK
    IJR
    IJS
    IVE
    IVV
    IVW
    IWB
    IWD
    IWF
    IWM
    IWN
    IWO
    IWV
    IYC
    LQD
    MDY
    OIH
    QQQ
    RKH
    RTH
    SMH
    SPY
    SWH
    TBH
    TTH
    UTH
    VTI
    XLB
    XLE
    XLF
    XLK
    XLP
    XLU
    XLY

#11     Aug 14, 2003
  2. richk

richk

a) I find very possible to get fill in between bid/ask in wide spreads.

b) max. positions I had together was 5, but it happened only once ot twice, typically up 2-3.

#12     Aug 14, 2003
  3. #13     Aug 14, 2003
  4. richk

richk

I tried to open some topics there , but nobody answered, so I asked in this thread. I would like to discuss setups and may be arrange group of traders with focus on swing ETF trading. I feel alone in my trading style and want to have some contact.

#14     Aug 14, 2003
  5. It's mostly a "preference" thing. I wanted to learn on the bigger ETFs where there's only a few cents spread. That way I don't have to watch it move through the spread as I'm learning.

#15     Aug 14, 2003
  6. No I put on the position last week I think Monday or Tuesday....My exit is 29.95

#16     Aug 14, 2003
  7. 'zactly. However, what I'm thinking the key is obvious: just wait until after the macronews. These don't move blazingly fast so you've got time to be patient. I was just being stupid and entering before the announcement.

#17     Aug 14, 2003
  8. I hope 31 doesn't block you off...

well, actually I do cuzz then my XLK trade might recover. :D

#18     Aug 14, 2003
  9. richk

richk

Based on 6 month/daily chart XLK looks weak now and can go down. Stop for short should be about 18 USD. What was you entry and target. Could you describe your setup on XLK more ?

#19     Aug 15, 2003
  10. I was afraid someone might ask. This is an example of a trade where I don't agree with my setup and I didn't follow my plan afterwards! I'm usually more disciplined than that.

Anyway, my current thinking is that most of the indexes are in a "stage III" (with most of them at the top of the Boll Band or the top of a descending wedge/triangle) that will look something like June/July/Aug in 2001. So I'll stay in until 17.8, but see if it goes down to 17. If it turns up much, I'll just get out so I can put those dollars to better use!

#20     Aug 16, 2003