ETF/ETN arb

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by Jgills, Nov 17, 2012.

1. #11     Nov 26, 2012
  2. Jgills

Jgills

thx - i didnt realize they posted an intraday NAV calc.. i had mine calced on my own lol.

anyway, i'm still looking for references on the actual act of etf/etn arb strategies, not different etfs to look at. does anyone have any to reccomend?

#12     Nov 26, 2012
  3. I would use the one you are calculating on your own because that only updates on a set time interval. I don't remember the exact number but it might be as much long as 3 seconds. Just use this calculation to make sure your own is correct as they re-balance it every day.

#13     Nov 26, 2012
  4. Jgills

Jgills

yeah - i'm aware of how the index it tracks works, i just hadn't heard of that iv ticker. either way, what i've put together for vxx doesn't show much of a significant deviation from intra-day NAV (atleast nothing large enough to exploit easily) but the sheet i built is only for real time, so i don't have a historical time series of the etf vs underlying values to look at how wide the deviations could get etc.

#14     Nov 26, 2012
  5. Are you looking at the last trade or the live bid/ask?

#15     Nov 26, 2012
  6. Jgills

Jgills

i'm pulling both, but for the calc of the deviation i'm using the mid. for calcing the actual executable levels (if i was to try and arb vs futures) i'm using the corresponding bid/ask.

now that you say it though i should probably always be looking at bid and ask and looking at the deviation both ways.

is this something you're trading in?

#16     Nov 26, 2012
  7. Always look at the live bid/ask on these. Last trade or mids will give you nothing but phantoms and days of time wasted.

#17     Nov 26, 2012