ETF Arb trade strategy for today 2PM Fed announcement

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by KCalhoun, Apr 29, 2020.

1. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Here's a strategy I'll test today right after Powell's 2pm announcement.

Assumption is that fed rate information will move the market up or down, we just don't know which direction, so I'm hedging.

The strategy: put buy stop orders in for both long bias TQQQ and short bias SQQQ at .50 or so above market, right before 2pm.

Similar opposing pairs are TNA/TZA TVIX/SVXY etc,, I'll trade whichever has strongest chart pattern.

Whichever triggers first is the starting trade. I'm using OTO conditional orders with trailing stops as usual.

Note there's usually a whipsaw reaction right after the announcement, followed by trending tradable setup. Goal is to profit from major move if one occurs.

Would like any comments or ideas... tia

dealmaker likes this.
  2. I predict both orders will trigger, living you with the spread as a loss. Did this in FX too.

KCalhoun, chami, d08 and 1 other person like this.
  3. narafa

narafa

There are advance GDP numbers coming out at 8:30 AM.

KCalhoun likes this.
  4. traider

traider

Wow what name is this strategy called?
    It's not really an arb

5. d08

d08

It whipsaws, on top of that you'll encounter massive slippage.

KCalhoun likes this.
  6. RedDuke

RedDuke

I mean what else can they throw??? Forget about using bazooka weapons, they already went all nuclear, what else can they announce apart from buying equities outright? Unlikely since market moving up very fast.

7. Girija

Girija

TVIX and SVXY are only for Calhoun look spikes and not for faint hearted. I will stick with TQQQ and Spy.

never2old and KCalhoun like this.
  8. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Good point, I'm thinking that a fix is wider trailing stops initially, then tighten up after initial shake... any other ideas?

Btw wow CCL RCL DAL today

9. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Other pairs SPXL/SQQQ TNA/TZA, need to find one to trade vs SDOW

10. tango29

tango29

Have you thought of a trade before the announcement? On days like this with a big move in one direction I like to try for a move opposite in the last half hour before release time. I assume it is people closing positions going into the announcement. If it happens early I pass, but I have had a fair success ratio with the idea. I don't usually hit it right the first trade, but I keep a tight stop and will try 2 more reentries before I quit fighting the trend. I also like to have locked up profit for the day before being the top or bottom picker.

#10     Apr 29, 2020
    KCalhoun likes this.