ET traders fully automated

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by newbie2006, Sep 28, 2006.

1. man

man

what sharpe ratio do you expect to trade?

#11     Oct 3, 2006
  2. ssblack

ssblack

i'm fully automated on spot FX via Metatrader 4. trades between 30-50 times per day.

i never thought i'd say it, but fully automated is the ONLY way to go. i've also become a much better discretionary trader since being fully automated because i really don't care if they are winning trades or not as the automated does well enough on its own.

#12     Oct 3, 2006
  3. man

man

to you as well. what sharpe did you test/do you trade?
    thnx

#13     Oct 3, 2006
  4. icash55

icash55

I have used Sharpe ratio with success for system optimization, but I don't use it for monitoring systems performance. The single most important metric for me is the equity curve, measured subjectively. Straight upward sloping "line" with only small bumps is very good :) Of course, I also monitor some measures, such as max. drawdown, avg. profit per trade, etc. If the equity curve looks unconvincing I can either remove the system or allocate smaller % of capital (leveraged) to it. I have not yet much done about optimizing the money allocation between systems, just allocated more % to more promising ones and otherwise.

I don't want to become frustrated, so I don't expect too much. Of course, it would be nice to become rich :)

#14     Oct 3, 2006
  5. man

man

i did not intend to be nasty. i was just interested what people
    here feel is minimum sharpe for them to go fully automatic. fair
    enough if you don't want to disclose it. ... :)

#15     Oct 3, 2006
  6. ssblack

ssblack

i'll have to run the statements through some software to get me the values; i don't keep track of it whatsoever. i care most about the curve as said above, along with the PTV drawdowns which have been consistently under 6% since inception (about six months ago).

the thing i care most about honestly is making sure the program does what it was written to do, and everything else will take care of itself from there.

#16     Oct 3, 2006
  7. man

man

i see.
    good trading to you.

#17     Oct 3, 2006
  8. Sharpe is not exactly the best measure for systems.

#18     Oct 3, 2006
  9. squeeze

squeeze

Have been for about 2 yrs now.

#19     Oct 3, 2006
  10. squeeze

squeeze

Interested why you are linking automation with sharpe ratio. Cannot really see the connection.

#20     Oct 3, 2006