ET Top Ten List

Discussion in 'Events' started by Baron, Jul 28, 2005.

1. nitro

nitro

What he is trying to point out is that the ones that received the most messages in that run were the ones that initiate or entice the private messaging to begin with - the proverbial carrot on a stick. That is possible reason for the high private message count.

In other words, outside of Magna who is likely to be involved in a large number of PMs for obvious reasons, beware that the rest of that list is likely trying to sell/market something to you.

nitro

#41     Aug 1, 2005

2. I think make sense to me

#42     Aug 2, 2005
    1. I didn't think I would be #2 on that list.

I do get some PMs from traders asking or making comments about this or that or forex or trading... but mainly I just use PMing to stay in touch with established friends.

I may receive/write one PM a day if that.

I think the list would fluctuate if run monthly.

#43     Aug 2, 2005
  3. Baron,
    It might be interesting to see the number of members in a certain range of activity.
    For instance, using make believe numbers, it might look like this.

5000 mem. = 0 post
    6000 mem. = 1 - 10 post
    3000 mem. = 11 - 50 post
    2000 mem. = 51 - 1000 post
    500 mem. = 1001 -5000 post
    5 mem. = 5001 + post.

#44     Sep 30, 2005
  4. It's interesting to see the stats that relate to forums and threads etc., but my two cents is that any statistics about the posting of members should NOT be published. Why?

Because too many people enjoy their celebrity status on this board, and too many posts are made just to keep up with the image of themselves. The more the board can be de-personalised the better. I thought it was a great move to strip away the status of all members (junior, senior, elite member etc.) and to strip away publishing the top 10 posters. I would go one step further and remove the number of posts that each person has made to the board, so that the only information for any member is their username and what date they registered.

The less 'personality' oriented the board is, the better. By not showing any metrics per individual it would diminish the ability of anyone to get excited about their perceived 'status'. If there's no ability to increase your post count, and no ability to compare your metrics with someone else's metrics ...then the quality of posting will go up.

#45     Sep 30, 2005
  5. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

bloody quants.

#46     Sep 30, 2005