ET needs a quant forum

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by lolatency, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Eight

Eight

Yes, please, a quant forum. I recall when we needed a trade management forum because every other thread was full of "trade management is the grail" posts. Now there are less of them and I can ignore them by not going in that forum. The same thing would happen [admittedly on a much smaller scale] if we had a quant forum..

#11     May 2, 2009
  2. I'm guessing that people just stopped asking the same questions over and over again. Having a Trade Management forum helped people find information faster.

#12     May 3, 2009
  3. Limited experience here, but I think the hurdles to having a quant forum are

1. Audience needs to have a basic background to appreciate (read participate) intelligently in the discussions. Significant problem here as I don't see much evidence of it (math skills) in the posts.

2. Need to have some few actual quants willing to participate. Again based on the environment maintained by the site owner I don't see it happening.

3. Too many freaks and head cases in attendance on ET. Need I say more? Anytime one of the resident trolls wants to disrupt the site, boom....discussion is over....Who wants to put up with that crap, especially is you're a skilled person looking for an intelligent dialogue?

4. Finally if people are really serious about a quant forum, one last hurdle is "accessibility". The one thing I notice about quantitative discussion forums is that people don't seem to understand how important it is to make the subject(s) accessible to outsiders. Unless or until people "get it" a quant forum is going to appeal to a small minority which means eventually it will die out.

#13     May 3, 2009
  4. It's more commonly known as wilmott.com and less commonly known as nuclearphynance.com :cool:

#14     May 4, 2009
  5. Like you steve911?

#15     May 4, 2009
    #16     May 4, 2009
  7. It needs an invitation-only format...

#17     May 5, 2009
  8. Good idea! It needs to be heavily moderated to keep it useful.

I'd be willing to moderate.

#18     May 5, 2009
  9. All the quants in this world need to be hunted down and exterminated.

#19     May 5, 2009
  10. The bleeding brain vulgarian has spoken.

#20     May 5, 2009