ET gone English-Only?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by damir00, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Weeble

Weeble

if you want to speak spanish (or any other language) in america, that's fine. but, for example, on an american web site, people shouldn't be pissed when americans want people speaking english.

#11     Aug 14, 2003

2. Like where? Marlins Games? the Orange Bowl??:p

#12     Aug 14, 2003

3. Don't worry Cubano, it's only a matter of time before Spanish becomes an official language in the US.

A big thumbs down to deleting the non-english post. Unbelievable. Why the hell delete it? What possible harm was it doing? Power hungry "moderating" at its worst.

#13     Aug 15, 2003
  4. Atlantic

Atlantic

if you are in the supermarket (for example) and find two people talking in a different language than english - will this also be a problem for you?

what if you are in a foreign country (if you ever going to leave the us) and meet another american - will you talk to him in english? or in the local language? and if you talk in english - do you expect being criticized?

it seems that some people in the us still have to learn and to accept that there is a world outside america and that there are other languages.

#14     Aug 15, 2003
  5. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

If two people want to talk to each other in a language other than English, they're free to use PMs. It's assumed that anything posted to a message board is intended for the widest possible audience. That is, after all, the point of message boards. Otherwise, one would be using email groups.

#15     Aug 15, 2003
  6. Atlantic

Atlantic

feel free to learn any language you want.

#16     Aug 15, 2003
  7. I never would have thought this to be a debatable issue.

I think maybe a better analogy can be employed:
    What if there was a gathering of elite physicists in Germany where the agreed upon language was German and no translators were present? Would it not be ridiculous for an American scientist who knew German to give his speech in English all the while knowing members of the audience did not know English?

I'll certainly retract my stance if Baron wishes it so because it was a judgement based on logic not official rule (unless it is a rule and I've forgotten).

C'est la vie
    -rlb

#17     Aug 15, 2003
  8. ElCubano

ElCubano

a post using another language other than english should not be deleted just like lets say a post using profane language should not either....and i disagree with you that each post should be intended for the widest possible audiance...An example would be a post from one poster directed two another poster, which is done quite frequently on these boards....When you argue with lets say alphonso, that is meant for alphonso only not the widest audience....peace

#18     Aug 15, 2003
  9. ElCubano

ElCubano

When speaking to an audience then you would take DBpheonix's approach...the scientist would like to capture the biggest audience for what he wants to say....But how about if he is off to the side speaking english to another American,,,, would you delete him??? :confused:

#19     Aug 15, 2003
    #20     Aug 15, 2003