ET gone English-Only?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by damir00, Aug 14, 2003.

1. damir00

damir00 Guest

this was posted by a moderator on another board/thread. personally i think this is a ridcilous policy for a website with an international audience and i'm curious how others feel about the issue.

Only one non-english post was deleted. It was posted within hours after my request to post only in English. Translations were done via a web-based translator, and yes, they were poor. This should stand to highlight why non-english posts are a poor idea. Here is the reasoning: A non-english and off-topic post is worse than an english off-topic post, because I will need to put forth a greater effort to decipher this fact. A non-english on-topic post is only of value to those who know the language, and seeing as how this is an english based message board, it will be very few who understand. The purpose of this site is to facilitate communication and, consequently, the process of learning for traders. Multi-lingual posts do not facilitate this process, and thus are of little value. If you wish to communicate in a non-public manner Private Messaging is available in addition to standard email.

That being said, I am not against single words or short phrases borrowed from non-english languages. They add color and, to me, are interesting. As I see it my only task as a moderator is to keep ideas flowing and accessible. All deleted/edited posts will be so because they (1) are off topic - thereby stiffling the flow of ideas, or (2) make the thread less navigable - thereby hindering the accessability of more concise posts.

Take a good look because,
    --THIS POST WILL BE DELETED OR MOVED WITHIN 24 HOURS--

-RLB

2. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

I agree with RLB. Either that or issue decoder rings to everyone.

3. ElCubano

ElCubano

jajajajaja....Viva espanol....yo soy un hombre sincero de adonde crecen las palmas.....

4. Weeble

Weeble

[FROM MY OTHER POST ABOUT THIS]

IF I WENT TO CHINA, I WOULD NOT BITCH IF I SPOKE ENGLISH AND THEY DID NOT UNDERSTAND.

IN AMERICA, IF YOU WANT TO COMMUNICATE HERE, USE ENGLISH.

5. ElCubano

ElCubano

wrong again....there are many places in America where you best learn to speak spanish if you want your coffee right....peace

6. damir00

damir00 Guest

i'm not in "America", weeble, and neither are half the other participants of that thread.

7. Weeble

Weeble

it doesn't matter. you're using an american web site.

i wouldn't go to a web site operated in china and complain if people don't like me speaking english.

8. Weeble

Weeble

so that makes it ok? just because it's the way things are?

btw, wrong again? when was i wrong the first time?

9. damir00

damir00 Guest

delete. no point in talking with someone cowering behind an alternate alias.

10. ElCubano

ElCubano

you said the above....I can communicate where I'm at In the USA using something other than english...so yes you are wrong..and if you have said this in another post as you stated above, then you are wrong again.....lighten up...peace

#10     Aug 14, 2003