ET as a Special Case of the Turing Test

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Argent, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Argent

Argent

Fully realizing that this is casting swearls before pine, I just read a great line in a novel: "I know very little. But I know a great deal about it."

#31     Aug 13, 2011
  2. Argent

Argent

I give up. Teach me something.

#32     Aug 13, 2011
  3. Metaphorically speaking, legion are the ET posters possessing only a hammer, for whom every new thread represents a nail.

#33     Aug 13, 2011
  4. Argent

Argent

And it is a sledgehammer.

#34     Aug 13, 2011
  5. I've always felt the urge to, but change my mind at the last minute.

Ok, I've changed my mind, in response to the question of "how to hedge ... so if I call 911 someone comes?": this is some kind of think-out-of-the-box quiz, deadbroke used to ask these all the time too. They're good fun. I think the answer will be something like:
    - call friend/relative/taxi after calling 911
    - own the hospital/ambulance
    - send out flash mob tweet to your location
    these will increase the probability "someone" comes to your emergency and hedges against no one coming for very little incremental cost.
    I hope I pass the this Turbing Test and got close to the answer :)

#35     Aug 13, 2011
  6. Argent

Argent

Thanks. I like that! I can only add to the 911 call "There's a crazy man with a gun!"

#36     Aug 13, 2011
  7. Dumb is any person scoring in the 40th percentile or less on ASVAB. Stupid is any person below 20th percentile/ASVAB & 10 raw/ACT.

#37     Aug 13, 2011
  8. Maybe my own view of my own intelligence is much higher than it actually is, or, as it appears to an external party. I suspect everyone thinks similarily of their own abilities, believing their own skills are much higher than is the reality. I do remember this being a topic of a recent paper.

Is that what you are getting at?

I would venture a hypothesis here: the ability to accurately assess oneself (and one's skill) is directly proportional to ones intelligence... performance aside; hence the post direcly above mine by a user registered in Jul 2008.

Mike

#38     Aug 14, 2011
  9. Argent

Argent

You are remembering the Dunning-Kruger Effect post by one of ET's most prominent examples of it:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=202114&highlight=dunning

In fact I started this thread because I wanted to discuss how you to determine quickly if a poster really understands trading or just thinks he does. Dunning-Kruger complicates this because people who really know their stuff tend to be modest because they know what they don't know.

About assessing your own intelligence, I am really smart about somethings, and that leads me to think that I am way smarter than I am about other things. In fact I stumble over my own stupidity several times a day, like a seam in a carpet.

#39     Aug 14, 2011
  10. Dunning-Kruger Effect шы умукнцруку

#40     Aug 14, 2011