ET as a Special Case of the Turing Test

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Argent, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Argent

Argent

Coming from ZeroHedge, I am struck by the dramatic difference in the quality of the dialogue between the two sites. Exercising an appropriate newcomer's politeness, I will not be more specific. My immediate reaction is that ET emulates multiple ongoing Turing tests of various fringe kinds. Forget machine intelligence. The challenge here is that, as a self-proclaimed intelligent person, can you distinguish between a human who is truly intelligent and one who merely imagines himself to be? Given that trading ideation is fraught with self-deception, misdirection and outright error, the distinction is not an easy one to make. I think of this as "remote measurement of intelligence." I googled the expression, and found no exact match, so I think I am on to something. I am on the lookout here for threads to analyze in the style of the "fly on the wall" Turing test. The goal is to find a case of an intelligent poster corresponding with an idiot imposter who has convinced himself, and the intelligent person, that he is intelligent. Suggestions are welcomed, as this is my first trip to the zoo.

2. Bored are we?

3. Argent

Argent

Insomnia. And mentally trying out some ideas in the overnight index markets. I think ET may be more calming than late night infomercials for trading systems which produce unimagineable wealth. But I think I found exactly what I am looking for in this thread: http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=225190&perpage=6&pagenumber=1
    I am not familiar with Murray Ruggiero's work, as I assiduously avoid the trading literature and promotional websites. But superficially he seems like he has some intelligence bona fides. And, like me, looking for idiots. Fools are the fish of the trading fisherman. I characterize the responses to the wiggly thing on the end of his fishing line as "thank you for posting so I have an excuse to prove to you that I am smarter than you are." But I got hooked myself by the exchange of opinions on the correlation, or lack thereof, between lines-of-code to implement a strategy and that strategy's efficacy. I made two decisions on the intelligence of the opposed posters based on my own codes. But I am the fly on the wall, and like Tar Baby, don't say nuthin'. The earliest attempts to fool the Turing test at least had the machine contestants responding to the human questioner. What does it say about ET that respondents essentially ignore each other? Easy for a machine, or a human, to emulate a soapbox.

4. Argent

Argent

5. Argent

Argent

An even more bizarre Turing perversion is the responders here http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=225187&perpage=6&pagenumber=1
    who know from the start that they are responding to an idiot. Those responders paradoxically are convincing me of their intelligence by the content of the flyspecks they deposit on the thread starter. Why does ET love so much to mudwrestle with pigs? Is ET the County Fair or the Gypsy Carnival of trading?

6. Argent

Argent

I have formed an hypothesis. The majority of ET posters do not respond directly to other posters because they know that if they did so they quickly would be winkled out as worse than dumb machines, as idiot humans. Hypothesis testing follows. And just so you know what my standards are, as a ZeroHedge member, I am accustomed to treating the frequent post "Silver, Bitchez!" as an eminently intelligent one. "PMs, Bitchez!" is the tops.

7. Ah, but did you use ET's search for keywords "Turing Test" ?

8. Argent

Argent

Thanks. Just did. With the expected results. Point for you. I failed my own test by being so suggestible.

9. Argent

Argent

Over here http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=225189
    the estimable Murray R. offers for FREE to teach a backtesting class. So the two class clowns, who wouldn't know a backtest from a backwipe, trash his thread so nobody else can learn what they don't know how to do. If the future of humanity depended on them, bet on the machines.

10. This is the TMZ gossip site of the financial world--- sometimes there is a bit of good stuff mixed in also!

Tyler is that you??

surf:D

#10     Aug 12, 2011