/esz3 or /nqz3 for a beginner to futures?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Dominic, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Watch out !

Starting todays it´s: ESH4 and NQH4 !

:cool:

#21     Dec 11, 2003
  2. Well you must watch the volume transitioning to the front month then transfer over. Usually in the am about 10-11cst.

Michael B.

#22     Dec 11, 2003
  3. This is the answer that you want... :cool:

#23     Dec 11, 2003
  4. If you are a scalper , 2 points is o.k. if your method has 70% of winners.

#24     Dec 11, 2003
  5. Dominic

Dominic

Every response to my question has been dripping with fear; is that to say that most of you here don't make any $$$ trading futures? 5 contracts is not that much too trade and I have already defined that taking a 2 point hit or $500.00 is fine with me. I have taken plenty of $500 hits in the equities as a part of trade and don't except futures to be any different.

Paper trading is fine but your emotions are no where close to what they are trading with live money.

Would anyone care to post what size and stop loss they are currently trading?

#25     Dec 11, 2003
  6. not fear, caution.

discretion is the better part of valor.

:)

#26     Dec 11, 2003
  7. Dominic,

Futures are much faster moving than equities. I know your experienced, but don't you think you are taking an irresponsible attitude?

Dripping with fear LOL.....I suggested 2 contracts over 1 to make a point. You need scaling, pyramiding and balancing opportunities that only multiple contracts bring.

Trade your 5 contracts if you must. But I do not want to be responsible for participating in your thread irresponsibly without knowing you.

Michael B.

#27     Dec 11, 2003
  8. If you hold position longer then 30 min, and you are really good with picking direction, your stop should be 5-6 points . If you just trading reversals, 2 points is plenty.
    Walter

#28     Dec 11, 2003
  9. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Actually, it's pretty much your own fault, Dominic, for welcoming any input, which is exactly what you got :cool:

As to your original question, I like the NQ, but there's no inherent "better" or "worse". They move more or less in tandem, but they each have different personalities. Even if you don't like paper-trading, I suggest doing so for at least a few weeks just to get a real-time sense of how they behave. You'll also be able to answer your own question about stops.

As to whether or not you should trade futures at all, that's your business, as well as the number of contracts.

#29     Dec 11, 2003
  10. NQ is cool

#30     Dec 11, 2003