/esz3 or /nqz3 for a beginner to futures?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Dominic, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Dominic

Dominic

Going to start trading futures slowly and would like any advice what would be my best future to trade. I plan on starting out with 5 contracts. Thanks for any input.

Dominic

2. Hi Dominic,

Beginning with 5 contracts ES or NQ will finish you off pretty fast.

nononsense

3. Dominic

Dominic

Thanks for the encouragement. If I keep a tight stop loss -2.0 points, I can live with a $500 hit (excluding comms). No different than having a stop on equities. How many contracts do you trade at a time?

4. Dominic, I would recommend ES and starting with 2 contracts.

-Fast

5. I don't see how you guys are recommending how many contracts per trade without knowing his account size and his level of acceptable risk. I think your projecting your own situations/perspectives out in your advice.

6. blb078

blb078

people are just trying to help him out, does it really matter what his acct size is? the piont is he's new to futures, most people new to futures start out with one contract regardless of their account size, just to get a feel for how they trade, no use in jumping all in if you've never traded them before. no one likes to loose money, no matter how big you account is.

7. yeah who knows he might be a former powerball winner :D

8. Isn't this what Dominic was asking for? I gave him excellent advise. I clearly stated that 5 contracts was way too much to start with. What advise did you give him market_man?

nononsense

9. ...if you are the same old fart from SI, as I recall, you swing trade with a hold period of several days. If so, and you're just trying to get better fills and lower costs, go for it. - Another old fart

10. Dominic

Dominic

I think you have me mistaken for someone else. I thought this site was for professional traders, not another Yahoo message board.

#10     Dec 10, 2003