ESTX50 and DAX vs. ES and NQ

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by EMini-Player, Oct 21, 2003.

1. for DAX and ESTX50 in my IB account, but I am not getting any quotes yet, not even the closing prices. Is it normal? I do realize that neither of these products is trading at this time (it's about 10:20 PM EST when I am writing this), but I would expect to see at least the closing prices for DAX and ESTX50 in my IB TWS.

Thanks for any insight in this matter.

#51     Nov 16, 2003
  2. Why aren't you posting your calls anymore? Friday was a good day on the DAX.:)

#52     Nov 17, 2003
  3. I've traded Dax and to a smaller extent Eurostox since 99', mostly full time.

I am a trend trader, and having traded ES,YM, Dax and EStx:

1. Dax is more similar to Dow - and EStoxx similar to SP. But DAX can do it's own thing compared to Estox - ie Dax may very well retest a high whereas estoxx fall well short.

2. In very volatile conditions, have retreated to Eurostox as the Dax will blow away your stops easily, Estoxx safer. BUT, when volatility comes down, you have to work your a** off to get out of the Estoxx for a scratch, whereas Dax gives you opportunities.

3. Volumes - if you look at Value of contracts traded , Dax trades only less than 20% less size than Estoxx. ie the otherday it was 117,000 estox vs 28,000 dax or E3.1bn vs E2.6bn 90 mins in.

4. I trade the "Streetsmarts" (www.lbrgroup.com) Grail technique using 1, 5, 15 and 30 min charts with 20 EMA and an ADX filter to get strength of trend. Added to it are time of day and range breakout filters.
    This seems to have worked well over last few years, guess because of the dax's good trend moves, compared to ES etc.
    But, even on a 1 min time frame I don't use less than a 10 tick stop.

good luck
    :)

#53     Nov 17, 2003
  4. Are you saying that you always use 10 point stops on the Dax. That is $250 euro and almost 300 US. I am trading the Dax early in the mornings before eminis open and am having trouble seting my stops. I get blown out a lot only to have the market move in my direction. 4 point stops is not enough but 10 seems too much. Any advice would be appreciated.

#54     Nov 17, 2003
  5. #55     Nov 20, 2003
  6. I note the VP of Velocity Trader uses the 20 ema indicator also...is it really that simple?

Michael B.

#56     Dec 6, 2003
  7. BStrader

BStrader

I can only repeat what I said in different thread.

Because DAX has bigger VOLATILITY than NQ.And how you maybe know,NQ has bigger than ES.
    ES=usually 5 points a day
    NQ=10 points...sometimes 20 points a day...i means in rally
    FDAX easy 80 points
    When US markets open and are slow,its better trading FDAX than NQ or ES.
    I trading at morning FDAX,THAN NQ/FDAX depend on volume.
    FDAX is excellent for fast scalping.

#57     Dec 6, 2003
  8. BStrader

BStrader

10,30,50 moving averages.Try it.
    10 show you the smooth trend of price.30,50 show you the longer trand where the price will go.
    DirectionalMovement show you if its overbought or oversold.

#58     Dec 6, 2003
  9. ok bs...I will. Thanx

Michael B.

#59     Dec 6, 2003
  10. Hi

Comparing volatility between different sized indexes is meaningless if you using points to measure it.

Percentages make it more comparable :

ie 72 points in dax is 2%

5 index points in ES is a bit under 0.5% etc

#60     Dec 7, 2003