ESTX50 and DAX vs. ES and NQ

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by EMini-Player, Oct 21, 2003.

1. If it has more range and you can pull more points out of every trade, you can play with smaller size and still end up making more than you would have on ES.

-Fast

#11     Oct 23, 2003
  2. Ditch

Ditch

Yeah, if you're profitable, but if you can't pull it off on NQ/Es, your changes on making a profit on DAX are 0. For someone starting out i would always recommend ESTX50 instead of DAX, because that is less vicious.

#12     Oct 23, 2003
  3. Yea...I'll be playing with the ESTX50 before trying DAX.

-Fast

#13     Oct 23, 2003
  4. Ditch

Ditch

Are you going to trade that while US-markets are open?

#14     Oct 23, 2003
  5. Not sure yet. I just got the datafeed to Eurex today so I'll have to watch it for a few days before I can decide. I might trade Eurex from 8:00-9:30 AM EST and then switch to ES/NQ.

-Fast

#15     Oct 23, 2003
  6. Ditch

Ditch

That does make sense., because after 9.30 Europe is enslaved. Good luck.

#16     Oct 23, 2003
  7. madf

madf

Well there is no doubt that ES is less volatile BUT provided you adopt a simple trend following system, reasonable stops and only take low risk trades..

1. follow trend
    2. Buy at lower Kelner chanell/B Band
    3. short at upper versions of 2
    4. keep your nerve

you can make as much money trading DAX in 4 hours as ES all day.

It is not unreasonable to make 30 DAX points in 3-5 hours - roughly $600.

To achiever that on Es you need 12 points (all figures with 1 contract) - probably 6 hours trading or 8 hours watching.
    Dax rallied this am from 3450 at 10 (no trading before then due to exchange problems) to 3500 by 3pm.. 50 points in 5 hours then fell to 3475 and then rallied to 3510.. so lots of big and fairly clearly signed moves..

#17     Oct 23, 2003
  8. If anyone trading ESTX50 or DAX would be up for chatting on Yahoo messenger for a bit; PM me :)

-Fast

#18     Oct 23, 2003
  9. madf

madf

oh and "That does make sense., because after 9.30 Europe is enslaved. Good luck"

The Dax often follows ES move by move: all through the day: remember ES is open for trading all the time DAX is open.. the worst times for the DAX are often the hour before US opens and the hour after (depending on what happens of course). DAX consolidations are a meat grinder.

#19     Oct 23, 2003
  10. Ditch

Ditch

Somehow i have the impression that you have neither traded DAX nor ES:confused:

#20     Oct 23, 2003