Essential Trader Software!

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by yoohoo, Dec 6, 2006.

1. last should be Free Trial

#11     Dec 11, 2006
  2. GTS

GTS

Don't run disk defragmenters when you are using your PC. Configure them to run on a schedule when the PC is idle (late night/early morning).

Even if they dont interfere they are going to make the machine feel sluggish so why do it?

Diskeeper is the industry leader (by far)

#12     Dec 11, 2006
  3. taodr

taodr

This not updated to use with XP, is it ?

#13     Dec 11, 2006
  4. GTS, it was in the last eSignal newsletter that running it while charting can considerably speed up charts, especially in fast markets. They said it runs in the background and so far they work well if I don't change my charts or surf. Another friend runs them without and such conflict. While I can cope pretty well with everything I need to do on a PC, I'm no expert. If it makes your PC sluggish run it at another time as GTS suggests.

#14     Dec 11, 2006
  5. I run/like

spywareblaster
    spyguard

both from javacoolsoftware.com

avast for av free and very good
    advanced windows care- like tune-up.com but free you can get it from download.com.

I don't run a software firewall, my exp. is that they slow down your bandwidth, I tested it with the tools at dslreports.com. You can test it yourself.

Edit: If you run a router with NAT, what is the point in running a software firewall? I have my admin password changed so my real address is hidden?

#15     Dec 11, 2006
  6. GTS

GTS

Interesting, I am running the latest version (Diskeeper 2007) and can't imagine the rational for running it while I am actively using my PC, it defies common sense.

Disk defragmentation vendors usually employ quite a bit of hyperbole in making the case for a defragmented drive. Most people never defragment at all in which case even an infrequent schedule (once per week) would give them 95% of the improvement that is possible.

As long as I'm chiming in, any software that is signature based (Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware) is only as good as the company that is producing the signature updates.

While its good to have AV software that has minimal impact on your system, IMO its more important to have AV software that will stop the latest "0-day" viruses.

#16     Dec 11, 2006
  7. 1358june

1358june

Dandxg, thanks!
    Advanced WindowCares2 from download.com is sweet.
    Computer runs a lot better...and its free!

#17     Dec 11, 2006
  8. GTS, fwiw eSig were saying the data is written to the hard drive before going to the graphics card and in fast markets the hard drive is pushed to keep up. They said using real time defrag can speed this way up.

#18     Dec 11, 2006
  9. GTS

GTS

Yea I understand and that makes no sense.

If you are accessing data on the hard drive (either reading or writing) the last thing you want to do is compete for I/O with diskeeper which is trying to move around data on the hard drive at the same time you are read/writing. It makes no sense. Defragmenting while you are running another app is not going to make the other app run better - far from it.

It would be like running a Zamboni during a hockey game so that the players can skate better.

#19     Dec 11, 2006
  10. #20     Dec 11, 2006