ESignal

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by saschabr, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Concerning the Realtick API, I asked TAl about that back in December and they said that there was no API available. Is this a well kept secret or am I missing something. I am speaking specifically of an API that will allow order placement and monitoring, not just quotes access, which we get now through DDE.

#11     Jan 29, 2002
  2. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

I have created a quick web page that has a few screen shots and descriptions of the new advanced charting in the eSignal 7.0 Pre-Beta now available. If you haven't registered yet, you can take a look before deciding. If you have any comments or suggestions, please let us know at beta@esignal.com.

http://esignalbeta.esignal.com/7.0

Thank You,

Todd Pellizzer
    eSignal Product Manager
    beta@esignal.com

#12     Jan 29, 2002
  3. Thanks. Any fib drawing tool included?

#13     Jan 29, 2002
  4. I was only referring to Quotes. My friend uses Realtick for quotes too. He trades through IB.

#14     Jan 29, 2002
  5. A note to potential esignal users. I used esignal about two months before I became totally fed up with their data manager that keeps telling me I'm maxxing out my symbol count when I'm not. Also, every time you change symbols or time frames you lose your zoom setting. It really is frustrating and a time waster. I tried quicken quotes live. Less expensive, no symbol limits, free level ll and options chains. I don't mean to bash esignal, I just think they don't understand how bad their software is.

#15     Jan 29, 2002
  6. mjt

mjt

bundlemaker

I had the same problem with eSignal and symbol limits. I called tech support, and apparently every time you change a symbol in a chart, it keeps your previous symbol stored, and it counts against your symbol limit. So if you have 12 charts up, change each of them 4 times, you now have 60 symbols 'active.' It's pretty stupid, and it's a pain in the butt to delete symbols all the time. I don't understand why they would program the software to do this; it's pretty asinine.

#16     Jan 29, 2002
  7. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

In reagards to saving settings as you zoom in and out of a chart, that is a limitation of our current charting software and will NOT be a problem in our new Advanced Charting. You'll be able to adjust the scale, zoom in/out, draw trendlines and save them, etc. New charting module will be radically different from old charting, as you can see from the screenshots posted on this thread.

Regarding symbol counts, we elected to keep the symbols used in the drop down box of the charts active so when going back and forth between different symbols, customers would immediately get the chart up again ( especially useful for customers on dial-up connections ) as opposed to re-requesting from the servers.

To help manage these chart symbols, we created a MRU (Most Recently Used) Symbol editor tool to make deleting or saving these symbols far easier.

While most of the feedback we get seems to be just fine with the way symbols are counted, we do get requests to increase the symbol count and/or change the way we count symbols. We are looking into our options. We need to keep in mind that one reason we are so reliable is that we can accurately model how much bandwidth usage and server power we'll need at any given moment. Other services are sometimes forced to delay data or burst it when demand exceeds capacity. We don't have those problems because we control it from the beginning.

Thanks,

#17     Jan 30, 2002
  8. tuna

tuna

Come on Scott your nose will grow .......i say bullshit to that for those of us on the equities plan.

#18     Jan 30, 2002
  9. Miki

Miki

I can hardly wait to lay my clammy hands on those.

I was desperately unhappy with the present ones.

But, now… “top of the world. Ma!”.

BTW I agree with tuna regarding the symbols limit – pain in the a$$.

#19     Jan 30, 2002
  10. "Regarding symbol counts, we elected to keep the symbols used in the drop down box of the charts active so when going back and forth between different symbols, customers would immediately get the chart up again ( especially useful for customers on dial-up connections ) as opposed to re-requesting from the servers.

To help manage these chart symbols, we created a MRU (Most Recently Used) Symbol editor tool to make deleting or saving these symbols far easier. "

Do you have to manually keep track of symbols? that sounds horrible.

Also I'd prefer something more realistic say 200 symbol limit? What happens with some kind of hot list which continually monitors for certain criteria?how do all these symbols get counted? or does esignal do this? thanks

#20     Jan 30, 2002