eSignal - new versions.

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Chuck_T, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thank you for joining this message board and answering our questions. eSignal is a great product that I've used for 4 years straight now (along with others).

The thing to keep in mind re trading is that I really don't want to fiddle with the software to "clear" MRU lists, load the dataManager and clear caches etc. I really have more than enough to do just trading - and the software should really just work without requiring me to know the details of how you count symbols.

It appears to me that eSignal is "nickle and dime" -ing me. Why not just give us 15 "free" symbols to account for the cached items if fixing the software is to much work?

off soapbox :)

#21     Jan 9, 2002
  2. tuna

tuna

"From your posting, I assume you would have preferred us to program so that only the current symbol in the drop down list counted against your total symbol count?

Big Yes ...thats it in a nutshell ..Either that or allocate more symbols to make up for the issue would be a great step forward.

#22     Jan 9, 2002
  3. Lancer

Lancer

Doing any line drawing in eSignal? You can't save your work. You can't create parallel lines. You can't configure a line to automatically extend forward. Zoom in and all your lines skew. Release a line end point beyond the right chart border, and the line disappears. Oh, there's more. Flip from one symbol to another and back and all your line work is lost. Enter the analytics setup menu, do something or nothing at all and your line work is lost. Encounter an internet connection hiccup and your line work is lost.

Want to use drawing tools? Maybe Fibonacci? Doesn't have it. Any drawing tools at all? None.

The shortcomings aren't limited to line work. eSignal offers good data, but very basic software.

Don't hold your breath waiting for great things in the coming upgrade. The pace of meaningful improvement in eSignal software is glacial.

#23     Jan 9, 2002
  4. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

I think with this new release, you may have a change of heart in terms of our product development. We are not tweaking the existing code but rather creating a whole new module that will look 100% different than our existing charts. In terms of development speed, we try to balance delivering quickly with releasing solid, well-tested software. With a client base as large as ours, thousands of customers download our new releases within the first few days after release. It's imperative that it works well!

I'd appreciate your opinion after you preview the new release ( initial release will be in 3-5 weeks ).

Thanks

#24     Jan 9, 2002
  5. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

Vikana,

We couldn't agree more. We don't want our customers having to tweak the software. Adding and deleting symbols should be very straightforward and for the most part, we feel it's been made easier and easier in subsequent releases.

As long as we limit the # of symbols, managing the symbol count will be an issue in some fashion. By setting a symbol limit in the first place, we accurately project the # of servers we'll need and control bandwidth usage. This helps us insure our infrastructure is operating at roughly 50% capacity and can handle large spikes in the market. I can't imagine how our competitors accurately model usage without setting certain limits.

We do, however, want our software to be as user friendly as possible so I'll bring this issue up in a future development meeting to see if there's some ways we can expand the # of symbols we provide or account for them more liberally.

Thanks,

#25     Jan 9, 2002
  6. Lancer

Lancer

Answer these and I'll give you an opinion right now:

1. Can line work be saved with the chart? (e.g. line work saved today is still there tomorrow, or next week)

2. Is there a mouse command that duplicates a line? (creating a parallel line)

3. Can lines be drawn within the analytics panes?

4. Can lines be configured to automatically extend forward a) during the current day?, and b) from day to day? (each new day, yesterday's lines appear and continue forward at the correct slope)

5. If a chart is zoomed-in, will lines stay visible and maintain the correct slope?

5A. Same, but if neither line endpoints are within the zoom area (but the line body should be)?

6. If a line end-point is released beyond the right chart border, will the line disappear as they do now?

7. Can the user enter the analytics menu, click OK, and not lose all line work?

8. What drawing tools; Fibonacci? Gann? Trend Lines? Parallel Lines? Price Levels from Prior Day (Hi/Lo/Close)? Other?

9. Can line color be changed?

10. Can out-of-market trades be manually corrected on an interval chart?

This is the short list. In the current version, eSignal can do none of this.

Regarding a great feature of eSignal now:

On an interval chart, will the new version still display blank periods to the right of the current trade prints, or will trades now print at the right chart border (leaving no blank periods)?

And finally, here's a suggestion: eSignal hosts its own user discussion forum at eSignal.com. The software is available at Jelsoft (See Vbulletin.com or Jelsoft.com). $160 for an owned license.

#26     Jan 9, 2002
  7. mrbud

mrbud

Scott, thanks..... and looking forward to it. Esignal is good but could use the improvements, Good point about preserving bandwith.

Lancer, you can change the line color. Scratch #9. lol.

#27     Jan 9, 2002
  8. Lancer

Lancer

#9 scratched.

#28     Jan 9, 2002
  9. 2-B

2-B

Hi Scott,

I had switched over to Esignal from another service earlier in the year and although I don't use your charting, I'm very pleased with the data feed in to TS2K. So the below quote is good to know

I just hope it stays that way, because if this new charting module is as good as you say, then I'd imagine you'd have a hoard of people switching over from other services. I hope you guys are prepared if indeed that happens.

2-B

#29     Jan 9, 2002
  10. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

To most of your questions, the answer is Yes :) but since the application is still in development I hesitate to state with 100% certainty what functions will be included in the final release. Overall, the notion of customizing your charts and saving your changes is one of the central areas we have focussed on. The differences between our existing charting and the new charting will be dramatic.

Thank you for your suggestion to host a forum. We do plan to do just that, whether we use an existing tool like Yahoo eGroups or host a forum on our site like you suggest. We plan to have one in place by the time we go gold, most likely even sooner for beta testers.

In terms of setting up a user forum, anyone care to comment on the pros/cons of the various forums currently out there? Before we decide on a specific type of community forum, I'd love to hear feedback from users.

Thanks

#30     Jan 9, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.