eSignal New Problems

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by gr8stock, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Slightly off topic, I've been lumped with esignal after years of using cqg. How do I turn on labels in the y axis for the horizontal lines. I can't believe this isn't on as default but can't find where to turn it on. Similarly with labeling where a slanting trend line currently intercepts at the current timeframe?

I'll leave my anger of trying to draw trend channels where I want them for another day.

Thanks in advance

#11     Jan 15, 2009
  2. I dont think price of hand drawn lines can go in the Y axis, but you can have the price for the line shown on the line itself. Right click on the horizontal line, click Edit, and then click the Show Price check box. That will do it on a per line basis, if you always want the price on all horizontal lines click the Defaults button on the edit box and click Save Current Settings as Default.

If you’re having trouble drawing the lines exactly where you want them turn off the Price Magnet, its in the Lines menu at the top where the File and Edit menus usually are on most programs. A magnet icon in is also on the Lines tool bar if you have it enabled.

#12     Jan 16, 2009
  3. TsunTzu

TsunTzu

I must say Esignal are a very strange lot. We jumped from version 8 to version 10 and I was expecting a quantum leap in the functionality. How wrong you can be. Its like they must keep there developers in a dark room and never let them look at CQG or Bloomberg. They have an ideas email address but you would be better of putting a message in a bottle.
    You have to ask serious questions of a charting package that in 2009 you have to put a time parameter in for point and figure charts. Like what the F### is that all about, the whole point of point and figure is to remove time. Also they print the previous day’s daily volume for all cbot products under today’s price, 'because apparently that’s the way the exchange sends it out'. Hmm funny how every other chart package shows it correctly. Oh and settle prices and close prices well don’t even go there, yes you can manually update the close price to the settle but you aint getting any other fields now so no volume and no open interest.
    They really are missing a trick, a few very simple changes would move them to be a very serious competitor to CQG instead of a lower cost, poor mans alternative.
    Still as they say you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink.

#13     Jan 16, 2009
  4. Thankyou, much appreciated

#14     Jan 16, 2009
  5. I reverted back to v8.0r2 yesterday. Just kept getting a lag on 10.2 that meant I had to constantly watch my broker charts.

After reverting back, v8 seems to be locked right in tune with my broker.

Much better.

#15     Jan 16, 2009
  6. I'm still using 8.

When I upgraded to 10 there where memory issues.

I didn't even bother with 10.2

I recently tested 10.3 only to discover that it doesn't run many of my EFS scripts. It says they have coding errors even if though they work perfectly in ver. 8.

Also, 10.3 has issues with EFS scripts triggering paper trades as well as sound and email alerts.

It's kind of annoying that 10.3 is meant to make use of quad processing power but it doesn't make use of dual processing power.

I have a dual core machine with esignal running once CPU at 100% while the other just sits their idling. What a waste.

Surely they could have designed it to divide up tasks across the cores for dual core machines as well.

Runningbear

#16     Feb 4, 2009
  7. JayF_eSignal

JayF_eSignal eSignal

The EFS issues in 10.3 are fixed and a new update will be released tomorrow to address them.

Regarding multi-threading, this is not something that is in 10.3. We are very much still actively working on separating the different data and GUI thread components, however this is a complex task that requires much development / testing to get it right. We are estimating that we'll have multi-threading and 64-bit completed around the middle of this year.

#17     Feb 4, 2009
  8. Hey Scott,

How soon until we are getting 30 days of historical data again?

Bill

#18     Feb 4, 2009
  9. Jay, this is a direct quote from the exchange newsletter taken from your site and published recently.

http://www.esignalcentral.com/exchange/01_2009/your_trading_office.asp

"Soon, eSignal will release its quad core software program version 10.3. Those traders who have the quad core i7 trading computers will be able to take advantage of this program and be in a better position to make a profitable trade than those with the older Pentium 4 and AMD computers. "

Also, why would you recommend power users should choose quad core machines on your system requirements page? This will push all of esignal's demands on to one of the four cores, making performance worse than with a dual core machine.

Runningbear

#19     Feb 4, 2009
  10. My new trading computer is a 3.0 Quad Xenon 64-bit running Enterprise Server 2003, twin 1100 watt power supplies, twin PCI-x16 Quad monitor cards, 32 GB of DDR2 RAM and quad 76 GB Raid 15000 rpm drives. (Affordable under $1000)

My point is that we as traders have access to computers that are 100 times more powerful than the computer that piloted Armstrong's trip to the moon 40 years ago and our software providers, have problems keeping up with technology that is 5 years old.

I've been using 64 bit systems for years and customizing the boxes to utilize their capabilites. Trading platforms STILL refuse to offer a 64 bit application.

I think I'm going to start organizing a group of programmers and technicians to put together a package of products for professional traders to utilize the high end tools we have at our disposal. We are the step children of this industry and are constantly talked down to when it comes to our needs.

#20     Feb 5, 2009