Esignal just as horrible as ever

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by bundlemaker, Mar 25, 2004.

1. www.cqg.com

#11     Mar 26, 2004
  2. reg

reg

I understand what you're saying. My point is that given the present choices, I'm just going with the lesser of two evils. On the day that we get a good program with good support, that's the day I'll switch.

#12     Mar 26, 2004
  3. kowboy

kowboy

Yes as a new user for a two weeks, the product looks ok but needs more user friendly changes more oriented to the trader and navigation. ( I've submitted suggestions via ideas.mail)

BUT, I have called in several times and mentioned stuck quotes on charts or total lack of quotes on some stocks.

I finally was able to talk to one knowledgeable rep who suggested updating to the newest version 7.6 which solved most of the stuck quote problems.

My experience is similar to Bundlmaker, itrader1, and Lazybones in that the level of tech ability seems to vary widely, to be polite.

You might consider separating tech support into two categories:

1. " I don't know how this thing works" questions for the new users and those too lazy to help themselves.

2. "How can I fix this that's not working" questions for legitimate tech issues

That way a legitimate tech issues can be taken care of as first priority over user education help.

Thanks

#13     Mar 26, 2004
  4. cruiser

cruiser

Have to currently agree with most current comments in regards to poor service, however I do feel the big decline has happened in the last year or so. I use to get great service and knowledgeable people but when they made the "great" decision to get rid of the 800 # for support I have a feeling there were other major cuts done in customer service that aren't as apparent to the outsider that either disgruntled their employees or pushed good experienced techs out the door. ES is a good dependable but $$$ product. It and the customers that pay for a first class product deserve first class support that doesn't cost everytime you need to use it. Funny thing though if I wanted to spend money as a new subscriber you get a toll-free # to do it. C'mon ES wake up and get with it, this is how good services start going bad.

#14     Mar 26, 2004
  5. as an otherwise satisfied esignal user, there is one thing which I find absolutely unacceptable.

WHY CANT ESIGNAL PROVIDE CUMULATIVE VOLUME FOR THE EMINI FUTURES???

The volume bars are counting trades, made, however not on a cumulative basis. Why can't such simple thing be accomplished. You DO GET THE DATA (otherwise, how can you disply Times & Sales Data) so why can't your software/servers simply add up all the trades made from the opening?

Please advise accordingly HOW TO ACCOMPLISH IT , or WHEN IT WILL BE IMPLEMENTED in Esignal 7.X.

As a matter of fact (I am using the newest version), the quote windows DO NOT show cumulative volume, but only previous day's TOTAL VOLUME, which does not change real-time.

your feedback is much appreciated!!

#15     Mar 26, 2004
  6. itrader1

itrader1

Thanks for the reply Andy,

The question I asked really has nothing to do with the function of the ETF, which would not be an eSignal issue. I trade ETF's daily and use eSignal running inside MetaStock. The question regarded the intraday NAV signal available for some ETF's and not for others - the ETF's are all available on a daily chart basis.
    Here is my reply to an answer I got on your bulletin board which explains the issue, I hope, telling me that eSignal does not carry intraday NAV's for ETF's:

"I can tell you that eSignal does carry a number of NAV's for certain ETF's and not for others. I can't figure out the reason and was curious which ones they carried and why.

I trade ETF's daily and use their respective NAV's - if available to find good entry and exit points. Example:

DVY - uses DJJ for its NAV - both are available on eSignal
    XLB - uses BXV for its NAV - both are available on eSignal
    XLE - uses EXX for its NAV and it is not available on eSignal?

DVY= iShares Dow Jones Selected Dividend
    XLB= Materials Select Sector SPDR
    XLE=Energy Select Sector SPDR

Every ETF has a NAV and eSignal does carry some of them. The question is why only some or where can I find a list of available NAv's?"

This was the gist of my question to the live online reps and they really could not answer it. I left my e-mail so they could research it, but never heard from them again. I just try the intraday NAV symbol now and use it if it works. I still don't know which ones are available of where I can get this information.

Thanks for your querie.

#16     Mar 26, 2004
  7. dhandy

dhandy

Can anyone speak about their customer support for the Quotrek product? I am thinking about getting it but am worried about their support for quotrek. Currently using Hillcast's MidCast Pro as well and their support seems on-the-ball.
    Thanks!

BIG D
    :D :D :D

#17     Mar 26, 2004
  8. Hello hello, I have to step in and 100% agree with this. eSignal isn't a bad product, but

The eSignal "Tech Support" is horrible and obviously staffed with monkeys!!!

And I don't want to hear excuses. I want to see changes. Or I'll look for a more supportive vendor.

Also, eSignal still doesn't even support the CME currency futures for backtesting at all! It simply doesn't recognize the long floating-point digits of currencies, all it will test is anything up to 2 digits after the point, so it's useless for for 4-5 digit currency format.

I would like to see a solution from eSignal, so I can actually develop systems for the EUR Futures etc. If eSignal doesn't even support the most popular contracts on America's largest exchange - then what good are they?

Another one is the fact that eSignal doesn't have things like trendline alerts. Hello? OT has it, even Ensign has it, how come eSignal doesn't have something so basic? I want to be able to alerted when certain levels are reached in currencies, without having to watch the screen all day.

Last one, the PC clock problem. Why do I have to have my PC clock set to EST (US) time although I live in Australia, just so eSignal gets the pivots and dates right? And how about trading both US and European markets? This just shouldn't be, eSignal should work in any timezone, depending on the market traded, rather than depending on your PC clock.

Thanks for listening, eSignal! And looking forward to solutions!

Yours Faithfully,
    Scientist

#18     Mar 26, 2004
  9. I was out playing at the CME today, but I see I once again created a bit of a stir.

Esignal as a product is simply wonderful.

Now, as for support. Earlier in this thread as well as others esignal staff has suggested that I call with complex technical issues.

Let me see if I understand correctly. You want me to call on my dime and hold for untold minutes while you spend huge sums of money on an online chat support system designed to answer questions that could just as easily be answered if the user simply read the manual.

What this means is I'm (at least in part) paying for those individuals who can't or won't read the manual or the FAQ's. So is everyone else who takes the responsiblity to figure out the software for him or herself.

Esignal, you need to get creative and you need to be firm with those clients who are just plain lazy. You're wasting money on support. When people call up or go online chat to ask a question that is plainly answered in the manual or FAQ's that person should be frankly told to look for the answer where they can find it. I'm fed up with paying for these people. Then maybe you could afford to have a proper support department.

#19     Mar 26, 2004
  10. if you are really dissatisfied do not post in here it does not help. Write and complain to upper management and write to management of the holding company (IDC parent in this case). Tell them that you feel that the retained earnings they are spending and the cash on debt they are spending is ill-used and that the return the company generated from their poor customer support and staffed CS desk is much lower than what shareholders can generate elsewhere. THEREFORE: The return on CS needs to be improved or the whole division needs to be abandoned and instead the money invested in higher-yielding projects. Threaten to write to the analysts who cover this company (because I have the experience that analysts often listen more carefully than a company's management; they now increasingly talk to suppliers and customers).

Sometimes, I feel that is the only language management understand (what a pity) but it sometimes REALLY works.

Good luck.

I still have not heard anything about the resolution of my issue on cumulative volume for the emini contracts and learned my lesson. Because of this issue I now look for another data vendor as I deem this THE MOST BASIC requirement and Esignal does not seem to be able to even handle THIS SIMPLE ONE!!!

#20     Mar 27, 2004