eSignal EFS code

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Magna, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Magna

Magna Administrator

Is anyone familiar with code necessary to incorporate a stock, futures contract, or indicator (like TICK) into an EFS formula so that it can be grouped below a stock along with regular studies like Volume, Stochastics, MACD, etc. That way it would take up much less room than opening another new chart window and, most importantly, it will move in perfect unison with the stock as you horizontally scroll back 'n forth thru the stock. For instance, let's say you want to look over yesterday's price bars and so you scroll back. All the studies "attached" to that stock move along with you, but any other nearby charts can't be linked and so they don't move. I think it's only a couple of lines of code but I can't find it being used in other EFS's on eSignal's website. Any ideas?

2. adonos

adonos

Yes, you can write your own EFS study that will have what you want. For instance, if you want to look at TICK in a 5 minute chart of something else, you would simply use:

function preMain(){
    setPriceStudy(false);
    setCursorLabelName("Tick", 0);

setDefaultBarStyle(PS_SOLID, 0);
    setDefaultBarFgColor(Color.RGB(0,0,255), 0);
    setDefaultBarThickness(1, 0);

}

function main(){
    var tick = close(0, "$TICK,5");
    return tick;
    }

That code will give you a study that just plots the value of $TICK as a study in its own area on any chart. Note that the time can be off if you are looking at a 24 hour emini chart, since $TICK is only updated during normal market hours.

3. nkhoi

nkhoi

why not overlay symbol with $TICK then they will be in unison

4. adonos

adonos

I think it can look somewhat cluttered if you have other things on your charts too, but ya thats another way to look at the tick in the same chart.

5. Ive been wanting to do the same thing. Thanks a lot. This is a quote from another thread. Would it be possible to set this up on esignal efs:

(On qcharts make a graph of INDU using bar chart indications.

We are going to add ym04h to this chart. It will be a one period MA of price. To do this go to studies and bring down the menu. Select Overlay Expressions and activate it by clicking on Add...

Fill in the symbol for ym04H by typing YM04H. Go to the vertical scale method. Select Match Vertical Ranges.

When the markets are running you will have the two graphs set up with the same vertical magnitudes. This throws out the offset of the two and makes the neutral value (like in the attachment below it is about 19 to 21).

What you see are bars for the INDU and a line threading along that is a 1 period MA of YM04H.)

I did an overlay on a standard chart but its not quite the same. and I did the indu - ym 04 chart but the qchart thing is much neater. I would like to duplicate if possible.

6. adonos

adonos

I dont quit understand what you are asking for. How does match vertical ranges work? If INDU goes up 21 and YM goes up 20, they will appear on the chart as if their vertical bars have the same length even though they went up different ammounts? I dont think eSignal can do that.

If you just want to look at INDU - YM, that is possible...

7. I wish I knew more about it. Im not exactly sure how the matching vertical range works. I was hoping you did. Maybe someone will have an idea.

8. dloomis514

dloomis514 Guest

eSignal can have two different symbols on the same chart, enter symbol1, before you hit enter, select multiple symbols and enter the name of the other symbol.

9. adonos

adonos

It may be possible in eSignal, I dont use qCharts so I dont know exactly what you are talking about. There is a whole lot you can do in an EFS script. Can you post a picture or something?

10. #10     Feb 13, 2004