Esignal datafeed sucking lately?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Aisone, May 8, 2008.

1. Aisone

Aisone

How have peoples experience been with Esignal during the opening lately? I trade small cap stocks and have seen quotes often being as much as 4 or 5 seconds late during these times compared to interactive brokers. As in 'lately' I mean spotty over the last few months, and getting less reliable.

2. ElCubano

ElCubano

10 seconds..ive seen...insane....could be an edge :p

3. Aisone

Aisone

I'm feeling the edge alright with these quotes...of a knife.

4. RL8093

RL8093

Yup - several other threads on eSig lagging... Running eSig side-by-side w/ Ninja - Zen - there is anything from 2-5 tenths of a second (normal) to multiple seconds during peak times or turning points. Occasionally, the lag gets to 5+ seconds and while unusual, it is not all that uncommon.

Either way, as a data provider, their product quality continues to deteriorate. However, having spent multiple years with them, I can navigate/modify their charts in my sleep and am quite reluctant to switch....:mad:

R

5. Lately?

Esignal has had crap data for YEARS.

6. Aisone

Aisone

Thanks, that's good to know its confirmed and not just me, altho of course a pisser that they are going in this direction. I'm going to see what I can do about sending complaints to the right people.

I have to assume that's heresay because given your comments you must not be a subscriber (at their prices, who would if they thought it sucked that much.)

That said I flat out don't agree. I've been using it for nasdaq stocks for a couple years and it's generally been awesome.

7. Lately? I see you've been here since 2006. Maybe you're just not around enough to know that there have been about 25 thread regarding eSignal's massive problems in the past 8 months or so.

Anyhow, if you do a search for eSignal as a Title keyword, you'll see what I'm talking about.

By the way, I was a subscriber for a couple of years until early this year when the data got so bad that it became impossible to keep paying a premium for the service.

8. Aisone

Aisone

I'll do some thread searches to see what markets people have complained about the most - thanks for the feedback. Honestly, except for a few months this year I've really enjoyed them while trading volatile small caps. I certainly wouldn't refute people's more enduring complaints though - when one sees their datafeed is lagging, there's no mistaking it.

9. I think it also depends on the instrument. I.e. i dont experience much lag for forex quotes (hotspot) with esignal, whereas stocks, according to many posts on that board, appear to lag rather bad. There are also posts on this board that indicate that the charting application itself can be a bottleneck if you monitor a large number of symbols. You could try using Ninjatrader or Neoticker (both have a free demo) together with the esignal data and see if it yields any improvement (Neoticker allegedly is designed to handle a very large number of symbols).

I personally use Neoticker, and think its far superior than the esignal application. It also has a function to graph the 'TimeLag', it plots the difference beween your local computer clock(synchronize using NTP, local computer time is notoriously inaccurate) and the timestamp of the trade-ticks, so it makes the lag at least quantifyable.