eSignal back-testing limitations

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Fractal, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Great! Are you running into any issues? Lord knows there are a bunch when backtesting in EasySignal. I toast you globally with a Kirin Ichiban "Special Premium Reserve" brewed in Los Angeles.

#11     Nov 25, 2010
  2. Fractal

Fractal

No issues so far, happy to say. Aside from the 6 month limitation and the account graphs not drawing on the html output, but the latter's likely due to some anti-script add-ons I have for Firefox. Remains to be seen if the tweaked method stands up to live trading, but I am very pleased regardless.

#12     Nov 25, 2010
  3. Glad to hear it. My account graphs won't draw either, but I don't care so I never investigated it. Re the six months of data, as we say here in Texas, "If you can't fix it, feature it!" I have found for my systems that six months roughly represents sea changes in the market, so it seems to be just enough to keep my optimizations current. I have no idea what your system is like, but kindly permit me to share something with you I lernt over the past few months. I almost always intuitively beat my systems' performance on profit taking, so I now think of the optimizations as rough guides. The stop losses I honor like wearing a rubber when fucking a whore, but I am more flexible about when to "come."

#13     Nov 25, 2010
  4. Fractal

Fractal

Fantastic metaphor and sound advice -- I'll try to keep an eye out for that dynamic when trading this systematically. I see some slight nuances where I'd trade differently than what's on the table. Worth keeping separate stats on the differences.

#14     Nov 26, 2010
  5. Agreed on the stats. When I first started coding and testing intraday price patterns I ignored the nuances. But like you, I began to wonder if subtle refinements to the basic crude patterns might be in order. Consider the worst case I would ever remotely consider trading. I can't stomach a system which wins only once out of four trades, regardless of how great the expectation is. In six months of data let's say the pattern pops once a week, roughly 24 times, for 6 wins and 18 losses. The 18 losses are IMO sufficient to generate a stop loss which is statistically significant. But the 6 wins are utterly inadequate to refine an accurate profit target. So I don't swing for the stands. I bunt with modest expectation systems which trade more often and which I think are statistically reliable. Such systems also give you a shot at refinements to the crude pattern to incorporate with some confidence the intuitions you have.

#15     Nov 26, 2010
  6. bobbyvl

bobbyvl

I have 2 questions concerning esignal:

1. Is it possible to backtest based on a daily and intraday indicator at the same time such as buy if the the 14 day RSI is above 80 and if the intra-day 15-minute RSI is above 80.

2. To auto-trade a strategy developed in esignal, we need to use one of their "Integrated Trading Service Providers" such as Patsystems or Rithmic.

Thanks for any input.

#16     Dec 1, 2010
  7. 1. You'll have to calculate the daily indicator on the 15 minutes chart. You'll get 6 months of data.

2. ESignal does not support fully automated trading with any broker.

#17     Dec 2, 2010
  8. Hello Guys,

Is it possible to backtest for 3 years on a 5 min chart?

thanks,

Walter

#18     Dec 4, 2010
  9. Fractal

Fractal

It appears no. Max of 6 months, unfortunately.

#19     Dec 4, 2010
  10. For a fee , around $10.00 /month more you can get additional intraday data from Esignal. I have found it well worth the money.

erie

#20     Dec 4, 2010