eSignal 8.0, 8.1 & QCharts

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Chuck_T, Mar 14, 2006.

1. JayF_eSignal

JayF_eSignal eSignal

javs,

That is definitely abnormal behavior for eSignal. I would suggest checking in with our support team, so that they can troubleshoot the issue with you. Here's a link on the ways that you can contact our service department.

#41     Mar 16, 2006
  2. Jay,

Can you answer my question from a few days ago? Thanks.

#42     Mar 16, 2006
  3. Jay,

Wrong message ... here is my original question. Thanks.

#43     Mar 16, 2006
  4. What type of intraday volume are you talking about? I haven't noticed any problems myself, but may not be looking as closely at volume as I should. I'm addicted to their EFS, so can't see leaving esignal, but want to understand if there's a problem with volume that I should be aware of.

Thanks

#44     Mar 17, 2006
  5. paulelly1962,

The problem with volume exists and has been acknowledged by esignal, at least on the emini contracts. If you go to their support forum you can find several posts on the topic.

I have also spent a great amount of time writing custom efs code that I hate to abandon but with the current issues and the way my indicators use volume to make trading decisions I am preparing myself to move on.

To see it for yourself, load up a volume chart (ex: 500v) in esignal during market hours. Let the chart paint for 10 or 15 minutes. Take a screenshot of that chart. Now, hit reload chart. Same time frame, same everything, chart looks different. Sometimes not as bad as others but different. Depending on what your custom efs indicators are, you may be in or out of a position you would not have been in had your system seen the real volume.

It is also apparent when downloading and playing back the daily tick file. Compare that against your screen shot and you will see a different chart also. Not drastically different but enough to cause several entries / exits to fire which should have never happened.

#45     Mar 17, 2006
  6. Thanks for the info. I set up a 500V chart on the mini and made some arrows on a large portion of the screen which pointed to the high and low points of the bars. I left it running for about an hour and then refreshed the chart. 5 of the bars now had a high or low that were 1 tick off, but the new placement was at a level that matched the bar next to it. I can definitely see this as a problem, but none of the strategies I use are dependant on this type of chart. I've never made a shift to volume studies and and concentrating more on price patterns.

I wonder if this is related to insertions and deletions. If they're really going to add them to the charting, that may clear up these descrepancies you're seeing.

Cheers,

Paul

#46     Mar 17, 2006
  7. Chuck_T

Chuck_T eSignal

Van Halen & paulelly1962,

Yes, the improved handling of insertions and deletions will improve the charting and volumes. This is part of the 8.1 release we are preparing to do that I mentioned in the second post on this thread.

http://forum.esignalcentral.com/

Chuck
    @eSignal

#47     Mar 17, 2006
  8. Chuck,

The insertions / deletions make sense. From what I understand the problem is also caused by some of the data being timestamped incorrectly, right?

That would also make the charts appear different (high bar really happened a minute or two ago but I received it two minutes later) which would cause my chart to paint differently live compared to end of day when the timestamps are corrected.

#48     Mar 17, 2006
  9. Boy, right or wrong, you guys are lucky to see any
    volume!!

When you have a volume spike, the bars that follow
    are shown only as specks. When you drag the volume
    scale up to expand the bars, the bars do expand
    but at the same time they go down below the bottom
    border of the volume pane and are no longer visible.
    If you could then put your pointer in the volume
    pane and drag the bars up as a whole in their
    expanded state, that would be fine. But that function
    is not available in the volume pane as it is in
    the price pane.

It would seem so simple to add the same adjusting
    function to the volume pane that you have in the price
    pane, or even just an expand/contract icon. All first class
    charts, and even most free software, allow you to adjust the volume bars.

Will 8.0 include any improvements?

Gaijin

#49     Mar 18, 2006
  10. BKuerbs

BKuerbs

Try the .efs mentioned in this thread: http://forum.esignalcentral.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8498&highlight=volume

Regards

Bernd Kuerbs

#50     Mar 18, 2006