eSignal 7.0 - new charts, formula script, & drawing tools.

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Chuck_T, Jun 10, 2002.

1. well said, Lancer. personally i want to see the bad ticks (but be able to filter/edit them) because then i know that many other people are probably seeing the bad tick also. i know that may trigger stops, keep people from trading the stock, etc. and thats something i want to know in my trading. i merely see them more as an opportunity to profit. e.g. if you see a tick $5 down on a $40 stock, then the stock drops for 30 seconds, that may be a buying opportunity as sell orders come in from stops being hit. i realize some stops require it to 'trade through' but others dont. just my .02

#21     Aug 4, 2002
  2. Chuck,

Does Esignal plan to add more intraday data for backtesting? And if so, when can we expect to see more data added?

Runningbear

#22     Aug 5, 2002
  3. cartm

cartm

I cant dl the beta, I am getting a message that says product must be active, I presume this means turbofeed on and esignal on, they are but I am still getting the error message, can anyone tell me how to dl the beta your help is much appreciated

#23     Aug 5, 2002
  4. wild

wild

#24     Aug 5, 2002
  5. Lancer,

I appreciate your feedback. However I have a different take on it.

Even if the tick is legitimate, it is an abnormality and messes up the chart. One single tick doesn't effect the normal studies we do, but it definately messes up the charts badly.

Your suggestion about editing the ticks is fine as far as it goes. But the problem is, it is not permanant. If you leave the chart and come back, the bad tick is back.

I really haven't used the new software with filtering, so I can't say if that is a solution or not. My strong suspicion is that it will not solve the problem as I see it.

qcharts still does tick filtering best.... it has also dropped me off line twice this morning... :mad:

#25     Aug 5, 2002
  6. Chuck_T

Chuck_T eSignal

The handling of tick data is a big job. Our tick servers are processing something like 30 million ticks a day. So we obviously have automated tools fixing what we see as bad (like the NY futures exchanges that transmit zero prices - you would think they would have some edit checking on the input size).

Contacting us to fix a bad tick was considered a last resort for something that slipped through.

We are currently upgrading our entire server farm at the cost of several hundreds of thousands of dollars. We knew when we added back testing users would want more tick data. As part of this we are upgrading and reengineering the tick servers to handle greater than 60 days of data. We are thinking about going to 1 year's worth. I don't have a hard release date on this currently. But, we are saving the current tick data so when it goes online we'll reload the data we have.

Chuck
    @eSignal

#26     Aug 5, 2002
  7. Chuck..

No doubt this overhaul is a big job. But if the job is done right, you will get paid back several times over.

The back tick data is an excellent idea. Again, it is one of the strong points of qcharts. (look, if you get qcharts without the reliability concerns, you have made huge strides)

Consider this as your ultimate test. When you have me sign up for a year contract, you will have "arrived". :p

#27     Aug 5, 2002