eSignal 7.0 - new charts, formula script, & drawing tools.

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Chuck_T, Jun 10, 2002.

1. ron2368

ron2368

could someone let me know if this has been fixed in new releases????

If I am using an hourly chart and open the program and a chart at 10 am, does the price data from 930am to when I opened /created the chart fill in properly??

I say this because when I trialed esignal it was unable to do this. The hourly bar would ONLY show prices that were accumulated by the program from the time you opened the chart. If you opened the chart at 1pm the first 3 bars would be ok but the 4th bar that was forming would have a range only from when the chart was created.

#11     Aug 4, 2002
  2. One problem in the most recent release (build 455) was on 30-minute charts. The chart is set to stop at 4pm ET but the last bar would continue to print including the after-hours. Close and re-open the chart solves the problem - until the next after-hours price is posted. Then the opening and closing prices of the last bar would be wrong.

Tomorrow will be interesting to see how it handles live data.

#12     Aug 4, 2002
  3. I use Qcharts and CyberX2. QCharts bailed on integrated trading with Cyber. I notice that Cyber is faster with the quotes than Qcharts, but CybertraderPro was cumbersome for me to use. Maybe I should try it again.

Esignal is making a lot of noise with the 7.0 build and offers.

Why Esignal vs Tradestation vs Realtick.

Anyone?

#13     Aug 4, 2002
  4. I am a very satisfied us er of esignal for > 1.5 years now. I recently signed on w/ a broker that uses Virtual Private network (VPN)_ to connect to their servers. Everytime I connect using VPN, the data manager turns red on me and dies. Any suggestions on how to prevent it. I have resorted to using 2 computers using the same cable modem and i works fine. I'd rather do w/o the extra keyboard and mouse though.

thanks in advance

#14     Aug 4, 2002
  5. Saskia

Saskia

Chuck,

I took a good look at your formula script. Why did you not use a TS similar language. After all its the testing software leader and most people are used to it? I feel your formula script is to complicated and honestly I don't think anyone likes to learn a new programming language again. Will you have a backtesting stand alone version? What features will this software have?

Saskia

#15     Aug 4, 2002
  6. One more thought, then I will drop the subject.

I don't consider having to call e-signal to tell them I see a bad tick as a solution to the problem. I want YOU to fix the tick before I have to deal with it. I don't want to open a chart and see a bad tick from an hour ago. I am probably in a hurry and don't want to have to screw with some chart settings in order to be able to read it.

I don't know how qcharts does it, but their handling of bad ticks is fine.

As a matter of fact, I don't recall seeing bad ticks on nextrend either.

I have been eager to dump qcharts for a year or more due to their notorious bad reliability. They drop off line at least a half dozen times a day lately. BUT... I have yet to find another vendor that comes close to qcharts in chart functionality and ease of use.

And I have tried.. e-signal, realtick, ensign, nextrend, and some other one.

Bad ticks was the killer for realtick, and awful charts AND bad ticks were killers for e-signal. Nextrend is too clumsy for an all purpose charting package, but they are an excellent backup.

So.. when YOU have a solution for the problem that doesn't rely on ME having to work on YOUR charts, I will reconsider e-signal.

Thanks for listening,

#16     Aug 4, 2002
  7. QCharts has come a long way since the server rebuilds. But Tony has made a lot of good points.

Is there a product that has realtick data speed, QChart functionality, and Cyber or IB order speed?

Is it Tradestation?

#17     Aug 4, 2002
  8. Chuck_T

Chuck_T eSignal

Good questions here.

inandlong - the integration with Cybertrader won't be using CyberX as it does now, but will be using the API, so their trading execution will be truly integrated into eSignal. eSignal's Smartbroker will support multiple brokerage systems so you can switch from one to the other on the fly - so you could use IB and Cybertrader on the same platform.

GA-Trader- on the VPN, it sounds like it is taking total control of the connection and blocking other connections for security reasons. You would have to talk to your broker about this - by the way - what brokerage is this using a VPN?

Saskia - Someone will probably correct me but I recall Easy Language being Pascal like. We wanted to use a newer technology and there are lots of Java programmers around now with the Internet. So eSignal Formula Script (EFS) is based on Javascript. If you need help translating an Easy Language script, post it on egroups and you will get help. A number of EL developers are there helping users. In fact if you go through the messages its interesting to compare the code.

The Yahoo eSignal egroups board is very active and you will find lots of assistance there with the new features of eSignal:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eSignal/

Hope that helps,

Chuck
    @eSignal

#18     Aug 4, 2002
  9. Lancer

Lancer

TonySanDiego,

Why is it the assumption that the out of market trade is a "bad tick"? Why is the trade bad? Is it your assumption that the trade is always an error, or never intentional? Some are errors or late reports, but what about those that aren't?

Pay real close attention when "bad ticks" occur and see if you can identify why that out of market trade occurred at that particular price and time. Put some channel lines on your chart and see if anything matches up. Also, how are your analytic and line studies manipu .. er, affected? Did the cycle peak or bottom at the spike? How did price develop after the spike; was a chart formation modified? That's not all.

Before you get all upset at eSignal for not fixing "the problem of bad ticks", consider that a lot of those "bad ticks" are there for a reason. I wouldn't have a data feed that failed to print out of market trades. The solution to your flat chart problem is manual tick editing and user-defined filtering control. If you don't find any value in "bad ticks", then you can quickly edit them when they occur or apply a tight filter to keep them from printing.

Here's how manual editing is done in RealTick:
    "Sometimes the exchange will print a trade well outside the actual market. This can sometimes create a chart "spike" that can alter or potentially flatten your charts. Removing the spike is actually quite easy. On your chart, double-left click directly on the spike. This will bring up the "Edit Chart" window. To replace the out of range price, double-left click on the out of range price and type in a price near to the prices around it. To close this edit option right-click in the middle of the chart, left-click on "close" and your chart should now be now fixed. " Both price and volume can be edited in RealTick.

What eSignal needs to provide in its software is manual tick editing, and user-defined filtering control. Deleting information from the data feed is not the solution.

#19     Aug 4, 2002
  10. are needed to run E Signal properly in the opinion of

elites traders ?

I am thinking of switching , but might have to upgrade
    my current setup if I do.

thanks

#20     Aug 4, 2002