Esignal 60-minute Charts

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by syd697, Mar 4, 2004.

1. syd697

syd697

Anyone use esignal 60-min charts for pit-traded commodities? (or any minute time frame for that matter) A default esignal 60-minute chart always begins its first 60-min bar at the top of the hour. This is fine for commodities that open up for trading at the top of the hour, like cocoa, sugar, oj, crude oil, as those commodities will have its first 60-min bar painted with a full 60 minutes of data. But for commodities that open on the half-hour, like cotton, corn, wheat, soybeans, their first 60-min bar will only consist of 30 minutes of data, as the the second 60-min bar begins painting only 30 minutes after those commodities open for trading. They are getting cheated out of 30 minutes worth of data on the first 60-min bar. Same goes for the stock market that opens on the half-hour.

The only way I see working around this little glitch is to create new time templates for groups of commodities. But even so, I'd still have to toggle the time template everytime I switch charts to look at a different commodity. Quite annoying, time consuming, and frustrating to do the toggling.

Anyone else noticed or have a solution to this problem? That's the one thing that qcharts had over esignal. Qcharts recognized each commodity separately in any chart, and "knew" what times each commodity traded at.

2. yes i noticed this too. they should allow to flip time templates through the Favorites bar or with shortcut keys. you should write them and ask for this feature, i'll do that too.

3. syd697

syd697

50 Cent,

Good ldea!

4. are you sure that the 60min bar is fixed at the top of the hour instead of the beginning of the trading session per symbol?

they state that it is per symbol and not fixed.

you will have to spend a lot of time with them on this and get specific with exact symbols that contridict each other and prove your assertion / claim.

don't use LiveRep, they are trainees that don't even know the product, let alone trade or have trading experience.

5. If I use 60min with the Equity EST time template, it starts at 9:30 but then continues as 10:30, 11:30 and so on, instead of correcting itself to round hours (i.e. 9:30, but then 10:00, 11:00... there are a lot of softwares that can smartly do that). That's also annoying. So I use a 9:00-16:00 time template for the 60min.

The time template thing is not very smart, there is room for improvement.

So limitdown, do you work for CA or something.... :D :D

6. Hi 50 Cent,

As you are working with a 60-minute chart, maybe I can offer some clarification regarding the manner in which they are structured. Because the time template begins at 9:30 EST, the 60-minute interval is in turn is applied to that time. As trading begins at 9:30, the chart begins to calculate for the next 59 minutes. Once that bar is completed, the next bar begins at 10:30 EST and another at 11:30 EST.

7. Hi syd697,

In regards to your previous post regarding commodities that open on the half hours, you may wish to create an Auto Time Template. This feature will look at the underlying issue and apply the appropriate hours to the chart. To create an Auto Time Template, you'll want to work through the following steps.

Right click on the Advanced Chart window, > choose Time Template > choose Edit > Choose New Template and name it AUTO. In the template items at the bottom of the dialog window, make sure that the "Automatic Start / End Times" box is checked. Click the "Update / Add" button and apply the new template to the chart window. This will then apply the correct hours to any issue you are displaying whether it is equities, futures and so forth. Please let me know if you have any questions.

8. Hi DuaneG,

Thanks for your help.

I understand how this works and I was suggesting a change.. some sort of a "smart 60min chart" in which the first bar of the day will be 9:30-10:00, and the following ones wil be 11:00, 12:00, etc. Many software do have this "smart 60min chart".

Anyway, that's my suggestion.

Thanks

9. syd697

syd697

DuaneG,

Thanks for that awesome tip! It's exactly what I was trying to do with the charts. It's funny how some of your reps will know how to solve the problem, and others don't. I guess it depends on the depth of you knowledge of the product.

So now my 60-minute charts all begin at the correct times, except that I think you need to update some of the commodities. Since 9/11, most of the NY pit-traded futures have altered their start/end times. You need to update the start/stop times for the NYBOT contracts on the Auto feature such as sugar, oj, coffee, cotton. Those start/stop times are not up-to-date.

Thanks again for the help and hopefully those contracts can be updated quickly.

10. Hi syd697,

I'm glad that worked for you. In the meantime, I'll check the hours for the different issues and confer with the QA guys to make sure that everything is functioning as it should. Have a good weekend.

#10     Mar 5, 2004